• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Company Bike in IR35 contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Company Bike in IR35 contract

I need to ask my accountant about this but as it's Saturday, that won't happen until next week.

So, I have a long commute a couple of days a week but I can make it more bearable taking the train and getting a folding bike/ebike.

In the past, I have done this just by purchasing it through my Ltd & have used it mainly for commuting purposes. I no longer have that bike & need a new one but my contract is inside IR35 so I have a feeling that the "business use" the new bike would get is not for the business of my ltd but the business of the brolly I'd be working for so it wouldn't qualify.

I know some brollies do cycle to work scheme but haven't checked that out yet but my preference would be to buy through the company.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by The Green View; 25 February 2023, 16:46.

Originally posted by The Green View View Post
    I need to ask my accountant about this but as it's Saturday, that won't happen until next week.

So, I have a long commute a couple of days a week but I can make it more bearable taking the train and getting a folding bike/ebike.

In the past, I have done this just by purchasing it through my Ltd & have used it mainly for commuting purposes. I no longer have that bike & need a new one but my contract is inside IR35 so I have a feeling that the "business use" the new bike would get is not for the business of my ltd but the business of the brolly I'd be working for so it wouldn't qualify.
    There is no business use on the bike inside IR35. You are commuting so you will be relying on the Cycle to work scheme.
    I know some brollies do cycle to work scheme but haven't checked that out yet but my preference would be to buy through the company.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    But you aren't working for your company and the bike wouldn't be used for company purposes so can't get it through the company. It would have to be via your umbrella. The cycle to work scheme is for employees and at this point in time you are an employee of the umbrella, not your LTD.

Giant, Brookson and Parasol have been mentioned as offering cycle to work schemes on here before and hopefully others have taken note and are offering it as a differentiator to try attract people.

You don't need to ask your accountant, you need to ask your umbrella.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X