• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capital Gains Tax asset type on Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital Gains Tax asset type on Self Assessment

Hi,

When filling in the capital gains section of my self assessment for a Ltd company that has been struck off, would the type of asset being disposed of be 'Other property, assets and gains' or 'Unlisted shares and securities'?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Chumbawamba View Post
    Hi,

When filling in the capital gains section of my self assessment for a Ltd company that has been struck off, would the type of asset being disposed of be 'Other property, assets and gains' or 'Unlisted shares and securities'?

Thanks for any help.
    Can I ask what your accountant has advised you?
    Can you also tell us why/how the company was struck off?
    What assets are we talking about?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It was an informal/voluntary strike-off using form DS01 and was done last year so I no longer have an accountant. I took a permanent job so closed the company.

The assets I am referring to were the retained profits distributed to shareholders which were under £25,000 hence going the strike-off route.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for any help.
        Other property, assets and gains

Comment

IIRC in order to claim BADR you need to select Other property, assets or gains.

Comment

It was an informal/voluntary strike-off using form DS01 and was done last year so I no longer have an accountant. I took a permanent job so closed the company.

The assets I am referring to were the retained profits distributed to shareholders which were under £25,000 hence going the strike-off route.
            You can use the section Unlisted shares and securities for Capital Gains under £25K on striking off a company. BADR will only apply to distributions made on winding up (liquidation). It does not apply on striking off. If BADR was claimed then complete 'Other property, assets and gains' pages. You will also need to give details in the 'any other information' box 54.

Comment

I wasn't planning on applying for BADR.

So am I understanding that either 'Other property, assets and gains' or 'Unlisted shares and securities' is fine and it doesn't matter much if not applying for BADR?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X