• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holding company for multiple businesses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding company for multiple businesses

I'm awaiting a reply from my accountant on this. Wanted to get some expert experience shared, pick the collective brains of the forum.

Have you opted for a holding company structure for your businesses? What has your experience been in terms of efficiency, ease of moving money between companies, cost? If you could go back in time, would you do anything different about how you've structured it?

I'm starting a joint venture with a few friends which will be a trading limited company. The structure will likely look like this:
    • Holding company
      • Consultancy company (I own)
      • Joint venture w/ 2 other directors (my share is owned by my Holding Company)
      • BTL investment SPV (next year; owned by my Holding Company 100%)
    I'm early on in my researching of it all so any advice / suggestions / scorn, grately received!

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
    BTL investment SPV (next year; owned by my Holding Company 100%)
    I was doing some reading earlier in the year on structuring of BTL properties and Holiday lets in LTD, and I seem to recall that a lot of holiday let / BTL lenders specify that layering of companies is not allowed for their mortgages. It must be wholly owned by the directors, not by another company.

Obviously do your own research, but be aware this may be a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post

I was doing some reading earlier in the year on structuring of BTL properties and Holiday lets in LTD, and I seem to recall that a lot of holiday let / BTL lenders specify that layering of companies is not allowed for their mortgages. It must be wholly owned by the directors, not by another company.

Oh it will be.

Also, I would be very surprised if we don't at some point see a realignment of how loans on residential properties are taxed. That may mean the re-introduction of MIRAS for owner occupiers it may however mean the removal of all tax relief on btl mortgages.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post

Layering is supported by some popular lenders, I do this via Aldermore - it does require high % ownership by yourself through the layering structure though. However, general appetite for BTL lending has gone down the drain and mortgage rates are eye watering right now.

Comment

Working...
        X