• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've marked "Use Of Home" costs as out-of-pocket expenses, is this right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've marked "Use Of Home" costs as out-of-pocket expenses, is this right?

Hi,

I am the sole director of a limited company and work from my home office. I am looking to claim back a portion of 'Use Of Home' expenses for rent, council tax, energy bills, home insurance and broadband. As these payments come out of my personal bank account, I've marked them as benefit in kind expenses in my accounting software, rather than bank payments if they'd been paid from my business account.

My question is can I claim these expenses this way, would I need to include the in my P11 form at the end of the year, and what are the tax implications?

No, you can't claim this way. Hopefully you have an accountant who will confirm the only current claim you can make is £26 per month expenses for using your home as an office (not as a BIK).

Comment

What does your accountant advise? You really should have one if you are unsure about stuff like this.

They will generally say no and just claim the £6 a week as per this link below

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...orking-at-home
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tesala View Post
        I am the sole director of a limited company and work from my home office. I am looking to claim back a portion of 'Use Of Home' expenses for rent, council tax, energy bills, home insurance and broadband. As these payments come out of my personal bank account, I've marked them as benefit in kind expenses in my accounting software, rather than bank payments if they'd been paid from my business account.

My question is can I claim these expenses this way, would I need to include the in my P11 form at the end of the year, and what are the tax implications?
        In short, no, don't think you've gone the right way about this. If you can, scrap what you've done in the company books.

Are you using FreeAgent? If so, under "My money" --> "Expenses" add in the use of home expenditure you're claiming. Generally we'd suggest you go for the fixed amounts suggested, irrespective of what your personal bills actually are. We'd also suggest just doing this once/year, for 52 x the weekly amount. The company can then reimburse you for that as/when appropriate (timing of this not important). Nothing to declare on a P11D, or your personal tax return. The company gets corporation tax relief (but no VAT reclaim) on the amount, no further disclosures required.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post

In short, no, don't think you've gone the right way about this. If you can, scrap what you've done in the company books.

Are you using FreeAgent? If so, under "My money" --> "Expenses" add in the use of home expenditure you're claiming. Generally we'd suggest you go for the fixed amounts suggested, irrespective of what your personal bills actually are. We'd also suggest just doing this once/year, for 52 x the weekly amount. The company can then reimburse you for that as/when appropriate (timing of this not important). Nothing to declare on a P11D, or your personal tax return. The company gets corporation tax relief (but no VAT reclaim) on the amount, no further disclosures required.
          OP. If you haven't got an accountant then ring this one pronto.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post
            No, you can't claim this way. Hopefully you have an accountant who will confirm the only current claim you can make is £26 per month expenses for using your home as an office (not as a BIK).
            This isn’t the only way you can do it, but it’s certainly the recommended way for most people.

Comment

Working...
            X