• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Submit PAYE yourself, not accountant.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submit PAYE yourself, not accountant.

My accountant proposed a silly charge to submit PAYE for 2 employees.
    I seem to remember someone here suggested submitting this yourself is very easy in HMRC's web site.
    Can anyone suggest more about that?
    My company also has free agent.
    Question is: is it very easy to do it yourself?

If you have FA, your payroll should be set-up already and you can simply enter your HMRC login details (you will need an account with HMRC) and complete your RTI each month (and at year end) with a couple of clicks.

Comment

Yes, very easy to do it yourself.

There are free tools on the HMRC website or if you have FA, Xero, SageOne they all have an add on that's about a fiver a month to do the work for you.

Comment

I'd say the fact you think they are employees I'd leave it to your accountant.

I'd also think about changing accountants if they are charging you for that. Also, dny decent one would help you by telling you what to do rather than leaving you to ask a bunch of contractors. They don't do your VAT either do they? What exactly are they doing for you? Sounds like you are being treated very badly for your money, which I hope is very cheap.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 8 February 2022, 13:58.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you use FreeAgent, I'd recommend doing it via that rather than HMRC portal (but you will need to link FreeAgent with your HMRC portal account).

For staff paid the same amount month in month out, payroll is indeed a doddle. Click to create new payslips copying the prior month, click again to submit.

It can however quickly become very painful if there's lots of chopping and changing (leavers/joiners, and payrises/bonuses/commissions/deductions), SMP/SPP/SSP, pensions to consider, plus more general HR stuff etc. Across a year it's always more work when people have what we'd call "proper staff" rather than just the director(s) on an NIC threshold salary each month.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I'd say the fact you think they are employees I'd leave it to your accountant.

I'd also think about changing accountants if they are charging you for that. Also, dny decent one would help you by telling you what to do rather than leaving you to ask a bunch of contractors. They don't do your VAT either do they? What exactly are they doing for you? Sounds like you are being treated very badly for your money, which I hope is very cheap.
            Useless as always.
            Foff

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              If you have FA, your payroll should be set-up already and you can simply enter your HMRC login details (you will need an account with HMRC) and complete your RTI each month (and at year end) with a couple of clicks.
              Is this free in FA?

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post

Is this free in FA?
                Yes, no extra charge (beyond whatever you're paying for FA), you just need a Gov't Gateway account and you will need to supply those login details when you make the submission.

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post

Is this free in FA?
                  You need to get yourself over to the FA knowledge base
                  https://support.freeagent.com/hc/en-gb

Plenty of guides and advice in google as well. There is an API discussion forum as well but that's probably not for you.

If you are going to run your own stuff it would be a good idea to learn the software inside out.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I do it

As others have said, if you have FA it's dead easy (assuming the accountant has given you the required level of access which I am staring to see caries by practice) if you don'y use FA you can use the HMRC PAYE RTI Tools
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X