• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension Carry Forward

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension Carry Forward

The Gov site says "You cannot carry forward unused allowances from any tax year where you were not a member of at least one UK registered pension scheme...."

I didn't use my full allowance last year and was with pension X.

This FY I set up a SIPP and moved everything to pension Y and so I take this to mean I can use the allowance from the previous year for pension Y, despite it not being the same pension. Have I misunderstood?

You have not misunderstood. Being a member of any UK registered pension scheme is fine, it need not be the same one to which you are now contributing.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
      The Gov site says "You cannot carry forward unused allowances from any tax year where you were not a member of at least one UK registered pension scheme...."

I didn't use my full allowance last year and was with pension X.

This FY I set up a SIPP and moved everything to pension Y and so I take this to mean I can use the allowance from the previous year for pension Y, despite it not being the same pension. Have I misunderstood?
      Isn't the answer in black and white in the quote? At least one, so doesn't matter if you have many or one that's just been moved. You have been a member of at least one registered pension scheme as the text suggests. It's not on the pension scheme as a singluar entity. Further evidence of this from the same page you took that quote from.

The very first sentence on the page you've taken that from says

Your annual allowance is the limit on the amount of pension savings that can be made to all your pension schemes in a tax year before you have to pay tax on them. This can be from a:
      The third paragraph down says

This annual allowance only applies to pension savings made to your UK registered pension schemes, or to overseas schemes where either you or your employer qualifies for UK tax relief.
      In all cases it uses a plural reference
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Isn't the answer in black and white in the quote?

In all cases it uses a plural reference
        Thankyou Sir!

​​​​​Yes, it is black and white...but given it is HMRC the plural could just as easily be a typo

Comment

Working...
        X