• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snacks, fruit and free lunches... Pt2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

But my main point stands - why is £1 or less a day worth all this anguish? What does engineering taxation rules to get it say about our claims to be operating as businesses?
    Which he could save (and be healthier) by buying ingredients and make his own sandwiches rather than buying it. Bit of a silly question all round really.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Which he could save (and be healthier) by buying ingredients and make his own sandwiches rather than buying it. Bit of a silly question all round really.
      Honestly, it's the tastiest sandwich known to man! I used to have it with some grated cheese but like you say I'm trying to be a bit healthier and I've done away with that and the pork scratchings / mars bar option.

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post

Honestly, it's the tastiest sandwich known to man! I used to have it with some grated cheese but like you say I'm trying to be a bit healthier and I've done away with that and the pork scratchings / mars bar option.
        Cool. Troll on dude.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I get the point but that strays into trivial benefits territory, and as a director of a close company and not an employee of one, those are specifically excluded.
          This benefit applies to both employees and directors. It's only possible here because the OP has premises.

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-benefits...s/whats-exempt
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

This benefit applies to both employees and directors. It's only possible here because the OP has premises.

If he's LTD is registered at his accountants he won't have premises will he? If he's WFH then the key bit is home in that?

Comment

To come to think of it, it's probably wiser to err on the side of caution. My registered company address is my home address and it's in the same town as the office which I'm leasing to work from. I mean, I probably could scrape through if I was audited but it hardly seems worth the risk. Audit's do NOT sound fun.

Whereas, when I've had to work away I've taken some comfort in known on the receipt it will typically give a rough location. Like Jasper's Kebabs, Blackburn, Liverpool, Oldbury whatever etc. That's the logic at least. But still worth querying as with a lot of this stuff there's multiple shades of grey it seems.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Cool. Troll on dude.
              Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post

To come to think of it, it's probably wiser to err on the side of caution. My registered company address is my home address and it's in the same town as the office which I'm leasing to work from. I mean, I probably could scrape through if I was audited but it hardly seems worth the risk. Audit's do NOT sound fun.

Whereas, when I've had to work away I've taken some comfort in known on the receipt it will typically give a rough location. Like Jasper's Kebabs, Blackburn, Liverpool, Oldbury whatever etc. That's the logic at least. But still worth querying as with a lot of this stuff there's multiple shades of grey it seems.
                There is no shades of grey eating while you are at home. You have to do it to live, not for business. The fact you are doing business there is just muddying a pretty clear rule with inconsequential issues the system was never designed to meet. Just because there is a loophole in a legislation to cover a situation that shouldn't have occured doesn't mean you should do it.

Probably scrape through? A 3 quid meal that you'd eat at home anyway.. Ok then.

We've looked at the tax situation but the problems start in the first thread. There is a big difference between a perm person having perks and a one man LTD claiming on tax. Completely different things. Another example is training. We cannot expense new skills, so how do big companies cover re-training. They either don't claim the tax on it or they have different expemptions because of their size. You cannot compare what we do to what they do. You can buy all the sandwhiches you want, but can you claim the tax on them? That's a different question.

On a slightly side note if you are leasing an office then isn't that your main place of work now so can't claim expenses around it at all. Mileage, food nothing?
                Last edited by northernladuk; 15 December 2021, 19:03.

Comment

But linked under that is EIM21670 - Particular benefits: subsidised meals including canteen meals and working lunches

If an employer provides free or subsidised meals to its employees or directors there may be relief from tax by exemption or deduction:
                  • under the exemption in Section 317 ITEPA 2003 (see EIM21671), or
                  • where the meal is part and parcel of the employee or director travelling on qualifying business travel, or
                  • where the employee’s or director’s meal is part of business entertaining for which there is a matching deduction under Section 336 ITEPA 2003.

If none of these apply then, for employees and directors (except for 2015/16 and earlier those in an excluded employment (see EIM20007)), a benefits charge will arise
                  He's not travelling for qualifying business and doesn't meet the other criteria so it's not allowed surely? His premises is his place of work, not clients site. It would be classed as a commute so no expenses?

Comment

Working...
                  X