• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in the UK while living in EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in the UK while living in EU

Is it possible? What would be the best way to do it, ltd or some kind of umbrella?

My clients would be located in the UK and I would be trading with them via my ltd registered in the UK, reason for this is many companies (and recruiters) want to do business only with an ltd.

While being tax resident in the EU country and working remotely I would be obliged to pay my personal income tax in that country minus the tax already paid in the UK.

From what I've gathered there are 2 problems
    1. Could it happen that the eu country might decide that I'm actually running an unregistered business in their country?

2. I'm inclined to register as a sole trader in the eu country because of point 1. And then I could invoice my ltd company for a part of the income, this would increase the expenses of my ltd and reduce CT in the UK but is it legal? ?

Cheers

This has been asked few times.

Whilst you're worrying about the tax implications, are you also aware that some potential clients will not want you to be outside the UK? Have you confirmed that your target market doesn't care where you are physically located?

Comment

Originally posted by apeyeye View Post
      Is it possible? What would be the best way to do it, ltd or some kind of umbrella?

My clients would be located in the UK and I would be trading with them via my ltd registered in the UK, reason for this is many companies (and recruiters) want to do business only with an ltd.

While being tax resident in the EU country and working remotely I would be obliged to pay my personal income tax in that country minus the tax already paid in the UK.

From what I've gathered there are 2 problems
      1. Could it happen that the eu country might decide that I'm actually running an unregistered business in their country?

2. I'm inclined to register as a sole trader in the eu country because of point 1. And then I could invoice my ltd company for a part of the income, this would increase the expenses of my ltd and reduce CT in the UK but is it legal? ?

Cheers
      There is a lot here for you to think about. Am happy to have a chat to put you on the right track. PM me if you need assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        are you also aware that some potential clients will not want you to be outside the UK? Have you confirmed that your target market doesn't care where you are physically located?
        Yes, I'm aware of that

Comment

I think it is doubtful that you can work directly through your Ltd. You will need to register a business in the country you're living in. What you can probably do is invoice your Ltd from your locally registered business. I would PM Sue. If you simply work through your Ltd you could end up in hot water with your local tax authority.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes - speak to Sue B. She’ll sort you out with this.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X