• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£500 per day with umbrella vs £355.71 via agency PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£500 per day with umbrella vs £355.71 via agency PAYE

Hi all,

I have the classic dilemma that seems to happen when contracting for the first time - do I go ltd., agency PAYE or via an umbrella. I have read the guides on this forum, and I understand the difference between them. I might return to perm work later so not worth setting up own ltd company, and I don't want the hassle.

My question is whether the 'uplift' of my umbrella rate is worth switching to this mode of payment for. As stated in the title with the umbrella, this would be £500 a day vs. £355 on PAYE. It seems to me that the uplift has to be around 15% to generally make this worth doing (the umbrella), and in this case, it seems like it is much more.

I am being offered the choice of going with whatever umbrella I'd like as long as it is FCSA accredited. I have a few on my shortlist, including Clarity Umbrella, whose director I know has been on this forum and is quite reputable when it comes to this topic. The agency PAYE route, however, is still through a company: GIANT. They rang me yesterday to explain and were quite keen to push their own umbrella route. I can understand why, given the margin of £25. I did not like them, they were quite pushy, and explained they could not give me anything in writing before their 'solicitors' would be able to look it over.

They advised that via umbrella my weekly take-home pay is 1382 GBP while via PAYE it goes down to 1199. I believe the umbrella also includes 'rolled-up holiday'. I am tempted to just go via PAYE to avoid adding another person to the chain but the difference between the take-home pay rates is quite large. Is there something I am missing?

Also, other umbrellas (Parasol, DNS - so fairly reputable ones) have quoted me £1450-ish as weekly take-home pay. I am not sure why this is. Shall I try and ring up Giant again to ask why? I have already called them twice and their tone is very salesy and slightly annoyed at having to explain stuff to me. Also, they said they'd ring me back to ask whether I'd go with them through agency PAYE (done by Giant Precision, presumably a subsidiary) or umbrella (done by Giant Business Connect, another subsidiary I assume). If I did do umbrella, I think I'd go with someone who inspired more confidence on the phone.

I guess what I am saying is that PAYE seems safer but I am not sure if I'd be losing out on lots of £. If just losing out on a bit a month, it would be fine. I don't care about pension/investing into a pension (I am not from the UK so not sure if I will grow old here).

Furthermore - on the key documents they have given me, which contain illustrations of breakdowns at £100/day, the umbrella takehome comes out as *less* than PAYE. It almost seems like the documents recommend PAYE, but the agency itself is recommending umbrella on the phone (all whilst saying 'this is just what most people do, I can't recommend things to you'). I definitely don't want things like fluctuating wages etc., so am I right in thinking PAYE would save me all this hassle? And at what cost?

I do apologise if it sounds like I am asking you to calculate stuff for me but I can't seem to work it out myself. A lot of reviews of Giant seem bad, but then again, most umbrellas have lots of bad/split reviews. I have been reading about this for 12+ hours and can't seem to make a decision.

Given the choice of Giant umbrella or Giant as PEO employer (PAYE with the agency paying Giant the fee) - Go umbrella, use Clarity - as you want holiday pay paid in advance every week.

Stolen holiday pay is a source of massive profits for a lot of firms and agencies...
    Last edited by eek; 13 October 2021, 11:09.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks, eek. I have been thinking about it today and I think I will do just that. Appreciate the answer.

Comment

I have personally had an awful experience with Giant. They just had a public cyber attack/compromise that knocked out their systems, and went completely lights out for a whole week.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/...s_cyberattack/

Add to that that you can't correspond via email as all their email comes from a no-reply@.... and according to their web chat they are unable to telephone out so they couldn't call me.

YMMV but I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
        X