• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC chasing my closed Ltd for Class 1 NI that should've been sent from umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    How did the scammers get the right payroll reference though? Is that published somewhere?
    Good question, but the page eek linked to says -

The payment reference may or may not be incorrect
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

People on those websites say various other typos/clues they've seen that indicate to them that it's a fraud.

I've not seen any of those on my letter...BUT
      I've noticed that there isn't a Paying HMRC section on the last page with lots of payment methods
      Whereas there was on a self-assessment letter received recently
      So I wonder whether genuine company debt letters would have a last page with lots of payment methods??

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
        People on those websites say various other typos/clues they've seen that indicate to them that it's a fraud.

I've not seen any of those on my letter...BUT
        I've noticed that there isn't a Paying HMRC section on the last page with lots of payment methods
        Whereas there was on a self-assessment letter received recently
        So I wonder whether genuine company debt letters would have a last page with lots of payment methods??
        Just call the number eek gave you and ask them?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Just call the number eek gave you and ask them?
          In progress. Just waiting in the 20+ minute queue

Comment

In progress. Just waiting in the 20+ minute queue
            Well done, be sure to tell us the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Well done, be sure to tell us the outcome.
              No good
              They've said because the company is dissolved, they can't discuss anything over the phone (even tell me whether the letter is genuine) and that I'll have to write in.

Accountant says that the phone number is genuine (I won't risk it!!), it's just not listed on their website.
              Accountant says that the PAYE scheme had been closed and must have somehow re-opened and that they will close it again.
              Last edited by PTP; 20 September 2021, 13:55.

Comment

Lol. The company is dissolved. Ie it's dead. Any debts it might have had would die with it. I guess legally because the company is dead, your directorship of it is perhaps irrelevant now, so they won't speak to you re it? Does beg the question who they would speak to about it now.

I don't think this is a scam, it's just a daft automated HMRC letter. Their PAYE dept presumably for some reason still has this company registered as an active employer, despite it being dissolved already. Just roll your eyes at incompetent HMRC and forget about it. If they send further chaser letters later I'd say the same thing. If they ever want to actually try to pursue something legally, it'll take a human their end to look at it, who will notice the company is dissolved and drop it.

Comment

No good
                  They've said because the company is dissolved, they can't discuss anything over the phone (even tell me whether the letter is genuine) and that I'll have to write in.

Accountant says that the phone number is genuine (I won't risk it!!), it's just not listed on their website.
                  Accountant says that the PAYE scheme had been closed and must have somehow re-opened and that they will close it again.
                  That's good news. HMRC have told you what you already know. The company has ceased to exist. At this point, I agree with Maslins. Just make a note in your diary of the time and date of the call and forget about it is my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X