• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does taking an Inside IR35 contract have impact on any future mortgage applications?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Also make overpayments as much as you can, when you can. Some mortgages have limits on how much you can overpay in a year so be wary of that to avoid charges.
    Is it always a good idea to overpay as much as you can?

I mean i'm way in a financially better position now than when i took out my mortgage 4-5 years ago & as a result have built up a big enough war chest from various contracts. I could use that to overpay my existing mortgage to have more equity in current property & when i do buy my next one' i'l need to maybe again borrow a lot with a small deposit...

Or
    ... i'm thinking; since i'm in a better financial position meaning i could potentially borrow more now; i can just remortgage my existing mortgage (as i said before i might keep my existing property so i would end up probably remortgage in converting to a letting mortgage) and use my chest as a big deposit for my next home. Meaning for my next property i would have a bigger deposit & would end up borrowing less.
    Would this be a better option than above?

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post

Is it always a good idea to overpay as much as you can?

I mean i'm way in a financially better position now than when i took out my mortgage 4-5 years ago & as a result have built up a big enough war chest from various contracts. I could use that to overpay my existing mortgage to have more equity in current property & when i do buy my next one' i'l need to maybe again borrow a lot with a small deposit...

Or
      ... i'm thinking; since i'm in a better financial position meaning i could potentially borrow more now; i can just remortgage my existing mortgage (as i said before i might keep my existing property so i would end up probably remortgage in converting to a letting mortgage) and use my chest as a big deposit for my next home. Meaning for my next property i would have a bigger deposit & would end up borrowing less.
      Would this be a better option than above?
      Depends how old you are and your outlook on life. If you are young it probably doesn't make much sense but when you are mortgage free a decade earlier than you would without paying by good you'll think it's the best thing ever. You will also save a huge chunk of interest as well.

If you can find savings that will get you over 5% PA (after tax) then you might be better doing that but that's not easy and there will always be the temptation to spend it on something else.

I only started overpaying later on and wish I'd started early. once you've got used to the money you've got left you just forget about it.

I wouldn't say as much as you can personally but definitely consider a decent overpayment that doesn't mean you can't live a nice life at the sametime.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"As much as you can" was a bit of a flippant comment on my part. I didn't mean it literally. But you can shave 10 years off a mortgage and save heaps in interest by just paying an extra couple of hundred quid a month.

Having equity can give you options if, as you say, you want to buy somewhere else, rent out etc. You can draw on that instead of taking heaps out of your company to fund your next purchase. With mortgage rates where they are at the moment (I read of 0.1% rates on offer the other day to those with a low LTV) it would be daft not to use your equity to full advantage rather than pay tax on drawing out a lump sum from your company.

While you're still deciding, I'd be making overpayments but not at such a high level that it left me less of a warchest for funding future plans.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          You can draw on that instead of taking heaps out of your company to fund your next purchase. With mortgage rates where they are at the moment (I read of 0.1% rates on offer the other day to those with a low LTV) it would be daft not to use your equity to full advantage rather than pay tax on drawing out a lump sum from your company.
          most of my warchest is actually on my personal bank accounts now. I already extracted a hefty amount out as dividends & incurred the taxes. So i would be drawing on "personal savings".

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post

most of my warchest is actually on my personal bank accounts now. I already extracted a hefty amount out as dividends & incurred the taxes. So i would be drawing on "personal savings".
            IMO that's not your warchest. That's your personal savings. I guess it's just how people want to manage it so could be the same thing but it's something out of sight for the very worst. Personal savings is available money that is to be spent or invested and is usually the first thing that's dipped in to when people want stuff. I've seen other people say they'll be OK with personal money and when the letter came round one of them actually started crying because he'd spent it all.

If you are happy with your abilities to keep 6 months of money in your personal savings and are 100% you won't touch it then fill your boots, but IMO that's not a warchest and you should be doing something more useful with it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This will all depend on underwriting and criteria at the time. The good news is that more lenders are starting to understand the impact of IR35 on contractor clients and are becoming more open to the umbrella set up. Some lenders will still work on the your day rate whereas others will work off the payslips.

I wouldn't say that taking an inside contract would have an adverse affect on securing finance but as I say, it will really depend on the criteria at the time.

Contractor friendly lenders tend to be more interested in experience, minimal breaks and the ability to source new work should an existing project come to an abrupt end.

Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
              X