• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting LTD to Sole Trader

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting LTD to Sole Trader

Hey All

Looking for a simple answer and its surprisingly difficult to find it just googling. So forgive my stupidity and hopefully someone can quickly answer it.

Just closed my LTD and I am going to do any future freelance work as a sole trader. I am still registered for Self Assessment. Is this good enough to just start acting as a sole trader or do I need to fill a some form to tell HMRC I am now going to be a sole trader. There is CWF1 which looked likely but its talking about "re-registering" when I haven't unregistered.

Thanks

Yes, nothing special. Registering for self assessment is the main thing, but you're already registered (and VAT, as necessary).

I hope you understand that you're unlikely to get work this way, certainly not through an agency. Also, I hope you didn't MVL YourCo. I appreciate you didn't ask about either of those things, but consider them a bonus

Comment

No MVL - I only had a couple of grand left in the company so just dissolved company and used CGT allowance.

Future work is direct so agency isn't an issue.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
        Hey All

Looking for a simple answer and its surprisingly difficult to find it just googling. So forgive my stupidity and hopefully someone can quickly answer it.

Just closed my LTD and I am going to do any future freelance work as a sole trader. I am still registered for Self Assessment. Is this good enough to just start acting as a sole trader or do I need to fill a some form to tell HMRC I am now going to be a sole trader. There is CWF1 which looked likely but its talking about "re-registering" when I haven't unregistered.

Thanks
        when you say you haven't unregistered. What haven't you unregistered from.

You MUST register with HMRC as self-employed. That has nothing to do with VAT, LTD, or self-assessment.
        Register for Self Assessment: Register if you’re self-employed - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

when you say you haven't unregistered. What haven't you unregistered from.

You MUST register with HMRC as self-employed. That has nothing to do with VAT, LTD, or self-assessment.
          Register for Self Assessment: Register if you’re self-employed - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
          To quote the OP, “I am still registered for Self Assessment.” The OP will, therefore, already have a UTR and should have an online account with HMRC. All they will need to do is update those records (to pay Class 2 NICs) and won’t need a new UTR or to re-register for self-assessment. Will see if I can find a link for the OP...

Comment

It looks like the online CWF1 is the easiest way to update your records. Provide your existing UTR in the relevant field and note that you've previously registered for self-assessment:

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/short...e=CWF1&sub-dep

Comment

Working...
            X