• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone do their own accounts, tax, self assessment etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abbot View Post
    I have had a few offers for work similar to the type I used to do as a contractor. The client would require the work to be done through a Limited company and be VAT. This is only small pieces of work that I'm doing more because I miss contracting than for financial gain so there isn't much money in it. To make it work I would need to do my own accounts and filing (which is fine as I have done this before) as it wouldn't be financially viable to pay a firm. I just wanted to see if anyone here did this for themselves and what software/accounts package would be suitable?

Have a look at Quickfile which also has accountant support if required at reasonable prices, as well as very helpful community boards where you can get assistance without constantly being told to "go ask your accountant...."
    You can also pay a reasonable fee to get the Quickfile accountants to review your accounts before you submit. It worked out much cheaper than my accountant was charging.
    Basic user is free but even the fully loaded paid package is pretty cheap for providing similar services to FreeAgent.

If you require accountant services they will quote based on what you need, year end accounts service is about £120 for a micro-entity accounts - which is much cheaper than my accountant had been charging for not doing much as I was doing most of it myself (and was correcting his mistakes far too often). I have had no issues since using Quickfile and been using it for several years now.

https://www.quickfile.co.uk/

Comment

Quickfile looks very promising and reasonably priced too. I also found VT as well which looks historic but seems to review well.

Comment

I do! Use FreeAgent but I was a trained accountant before I got into IT. I refuse to pay one to do something I can do myself now that IR35 is not an issue. I used to pay one for the support in case of IR35 investigations - VAT and other enquiries are not an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Abbot View Post
          Quickfile looks very promising and reasonably priced too. I also found VT as well which looks historic but seems to review well.
          Very pleased to have seen Quick File suggested here. I spent a couple of hours migrating my side hustle Ltd company from a spreadsheet on to it yesterday. It looks excellent and I am absolutely certain now that I can complete HMRC and companies house annual reporting requirements using just HMRC's on line tools myself. Later in the year I will be closing down the side hustle company anyway to finally fully retire. Quick File is just perfect for me.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Very pleased to have seen Quick File suggested here. I spent a couple of hours migrating my side hustle Ltd company from a spreadsheet on to it yesterday. It looks excellent and I am absolutely certain now that I can complete HMRC and companies house annual reporting requirements using just HMRC's on line tools myself. Later in the year I will be closing down the side hustle company anyway to finally fully retire. Quick File is just perfect for me.
            Brilliant - exactly how I felt when I first moved over to it - it makes everything really quick and simple and saved me a lot of time as well as I pay 1/10th of what i used to pay my accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              *wave*

Open an account with Natwest or RBS and you get FreeAgent bundled, for 99% of limited company contractors its very simple and once you get the hang of it will take no more than an hour a month
              FA is very good, the part I would be interested in is how much of the required stuff it does for you e.g. RTI, CT returns, SATR? Do you still end up manually doing those using the numbers it tells you into the forms? We tried to follow the process for my wife's business but how the different categories all got mapped to HMRC categories seemed a bit of a faff.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

FA is very good, the part I would be interested in is how much of the required stuff it does for you e.g. RTI, CT returns, SATR? Do you still end up manually doing those using the numbers it tells you into the forms? We tried to follow the process for my wife's business but how the different categories all got mapped to HMRC categories seemed a bit of a faff.
                RTI is automatic, as is VAT (well not automatic but is handeld by FA with a few clicks of the button) SATR is manual but it gives you all the information you need so its just a case of entering what it tells you to do (about an hour a year for the wife and I) CT600 was manual along the same lines as SATR where it tells you the figurers and what boxes to enter but they have just announced CT600 will now be in the service, I have a webinar on Wednesday where I am getting a demo so will let you know after
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                X