• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore client, UK resident, EU Ltd, IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But you are trying to create a contrived structure to gain a tax advantage that isn't required or you use currently.
    Tax aside, I see that it's unclear whether such a case would have to have an IR35 determination.

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post

Tax aside, I see that it's unclear whether such a case would have to have an IR35 determination.
      Is the UK presence large enough to meet the criteria of the company being a medium or large-sized non-public sector organisation?

If it does them you need a determination (as the client is responsible for the decision regardless of the fact they won't have a clue) if it doesn't then you can make the decision.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Is the UK presence large enough to meet the criteria of the company being a medium or large-sized non-public sector organisation?

If it does them you need a determination (as the client is responsible for the decision regardless of the fact they won't have a clue) if it doesn't then you can make the decision.
        Yes, the company is what you would classify a "global company" really, with HQ in Amsterdam, and an office of circa 200 people in London. The contract just happens to be with the Dutch entity.

Again, I know that using a PSC, in this case the end client makes a status determination, I just can't find anywhere what happens if using a non-UK company for a non-UK contract (if I were hired, I would have been hired in Amsterdam so to say).

Comment

Yes, the company is what you would classify a "global company" really, with HQ in Amsterdam, and an office of circa 200 people in London. The contract just happens to be with the Dutch entity.

Again, I know that using a PSC, in this case the end client makes a status determination, I just can't find anywhere what happens if using a non-UK company for a non-UK contract (if I were hired, I would have been hired in Amsterdam so to say).
          That's because it's irrelevant - there still needs to be a determination by the client and as the entire point of IR35 is to ignore intermediary companies add more overseas ones is just going to annoy HMRC.

Comment

That's because it's irrelevant - there still needs to be a determination by the client and as the entire point of IR35 is to ignore intermediary companies add more overseas ones is just going to annoy HMRC.
            I guess, the question then becomes, "who does IR35 apply to?".

Comment

I guess, the question then becomes, "who does IR35 apply to?".
              Nope - the question (taken from HMRC's workshop).

The client must look through the PSC as if it wasn’t there, and consider what
              the employment status would be if they were engaging the contractor directly –
              would the contractor be an employee or a self-employed worker?

The fact that your PSC is not in the UK doesn't make a single bit of difference here - it just screams Fraud to HMRC.

I know how I would handle this because being blunt it's obvious but as you are trying to be clever it's only right that I let you try to work out the solution.

Comment

Nope - the question (taken from HMRC's workshop).

The client must look through the PSC as if it wasn’t there, and consider what
                the employment status would be if they were engaging the contractor directly –
                would the contractor be an employee or a self-employed worker?

The fact that your PSC is not in the UK doesn't make a single bit of difference here - it just screams Fraud to HMRC.

I know how I would handle this because being blunt it's obvious but as you are trying to be clever it's only right that I let you try to work out the solution.
                That's a good quote!
                That example makes sense, thanks. Although, based on what people say, HMRC is notorious for trying to bring everyone closer to inside IR35.

Comment

Working...
                X