• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT: how to charge to EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT: how to charge to EU

Morning.

I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding how to invoice NL client from 1st Jan.

I'm in UK, client is in NL so place of supply is NL. No exemption applies.

My understanding is to register for VAT in NL since that's where it's due (previously it was reverse charged) however, regarding what amounts to actually invoice has produced conflicting advice from all quarters (including my NL accountant and client) .and I know this thread is just going to generate more questions however in for a penny...

Do I invoice with UK or Dutch VAT added?...Or none, as has been mentioned by one party.

I'm trying to get hold of KvK in NL and VAT helpline here but in the meantime I thought I'd ask you guys...

Edit: furthmore, the KvK site states (for NL suppliers TO the UK) that the reverse charge can still be applied, but maybe that's only in that 'direction' of flow.

Further edit: what makes sense to me is to register for VAT in NL, charge NL VAT on the invoice and then settle with KvK. Basically, the same as if I were supplying in UK and had to 'do' VAT for HMRC.
    Last edited by Guesstimator; 18 March 2021, 10:39.

No idea. HTH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Insofar as I actually wish a couple of my sources had simply said the same then ...It does....and it doesn't.

Comment

Sue at iPay would have been my first port of call but she's not there anymore and I can't remember what her new forum name. She's an expert in international taxation, dried flower arranging the homogeneous reactions of two miscible liquids. Well expert in one of those at least.

EDIT : Ah.. She is now called Sue B on here
        Last edited by northernladuk; 18 March 2021, 11:45.

Comment

What are you supplying?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
            What are you supplying?
            Why what you after?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Why what you after?
              Funny how the mind works

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post

Funny how the mind works
                Works better with the aid of a bit of 'product'.

Comment

I'm supplying 'consultancy services'..two words that are as vague in describing their meaning as 'meat paste' is.
                  But yeah, IT consultancy, not goods.

PS Cheers for the headsup about Sue, didn't know she'd left iPaye.

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
                    I'm supplying 'consultancy services'..two words that are as vague in describing their meaning as 'meat paste' is.
                    But yeah, IT consultancy, not goods.

PS Cheers for the headsup about Sue, didn't know she'd left iPaye.
                    In that case, the supply is outside the scope of VAT so you would invoice the NL company from your UK company with No VAT.

Comment

Working...
                    X