• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance

I need to get professional indemnity, employers' liability and public liability insurance to comply with the terms of my new contract. It says I need £1M, £2.5M and £0.5M cover for EACH occurence/claim for the 3 insurances respectively. I've found insurance that covers these levels, but as a TOTAL of all claims of each insurance. Can anyone recommend insurance cover.

Also I know joining the PCG will get me discounted insurance, but are the discounts on offer worth the joining fee?

Originally posted by mobwell
    I need to get professional indemnity, employers' liability and public liability insurance to comply with the terms of my new contract. It says I need £1M, £2.5M and £0.5M cover for EACH occurence/claim for the 3 insurances respectively. I've found insurance that covers these levels, but as a TOTAL of all claims of each insurance. Can anyone recommend insurance cover.

Also I know joining the PCG will get me discounted insurance, but are the discounts on offer worth the joining fee?
    Phone an insurance broker, or call the people you've found and ask them what the price will be for what you require.

Alternatively tell your client what you are willing to provide in terms of insurance and see if they accept that

Comment

you wont need employers liability of you are the only employee in the co.
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
        you wont need employers liability of you are the only employee in the co.
        Unless you are outside IR35 and therefore have a substitution clause in your contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
          Unless you are outside IR35 and therefore have a substitution clause in your contract.
          I am the only employee in my company, able to work outside of IR35 - but I'm afraid the reference to the substitution clause is lost on me. Could someone please clarify?

I need to work out what kind of liability insurance I would generally need, going by the list at http://www.contractoruk.com/insurance/index.html?

Any help gratefully received )

Comment

Substitution clause = can send smoeone other than you to do the work for you

Comment

The standard PCG package offer covers (not surprisingly) 99.9% of all contractors' requirements with £100k dedicated PI and £1m shared PI cover, plus adequate ELI and PLI. If you are in something that needs significantly more than that - safety critical software for example - then you ought really to add it to your fees on the basis that if the client requires you to have exceptional levels of cover - basicallyto limit their own product liability - they should go some way towards funding it.

Incidentally, if you don't understand substitution as a concept, how are you so sure you are outside IR35??
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Right - have actually read the contract with an advisor, there is a substitution clause in there, and I fit the criteria for working outside IR35. I'm slightly more in-touch with it now

Speaking to other contractors where I work, none seem to have any additional insurance despite the fact they have their own companies rather than using an umbrella PAYE scheme.

I just want to be sure I have the cover I need, if I need it. Doesn't one have limited liability by having a ltd. company anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by neon_trotsky
                  Right - have actually read the contract with an advisor, there is a substitution clause in there, and I fit the criteria for working outside IR35. I'm slightly more in-touch with it now

Speaking to other contractors where I work, none seem to have any additional insurance despite the fact they have their own companies rather than using an umbrella PAYE scheme.

I just want to be sure I have the cover I need, if I need it. Doesn't one have limited liability by having a ltd. company anyway?
                  Yes but its limited to the funds available to the company, this includes (asaik) any dividends declared out of current year profits and any retained profit from the years before.

However if you as a director take on a contract that states you need this cover and you don't taje it out, you have acted at best irresponsibly and at worst committed fraud. In the extreme cases the injured party can sue you directly if it can be proved you acted negligently.

Comment

Working...
                  X