• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FFS HMRC, how hard is it??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFS HMRC, how hard is it??

I couldn't find my previous rant about the state of my MTD VAT Account where HMRC say that what I owe is less than the amount declared in Box 5.

Anyway, after noticing that they finally were accepting that I owed the Box 5 figure and not some far lower figure, I set up the direct debit to collect. Imagine my surprise when I see that tomorrow's direct debit will be taking less than half the amount I said I owed. I look at the figures they say I have submitted and they're all correct except for the bit at the top where it says "return total - £x,xxx", "you owe - £y,yyy" where the £y,yyy is far too low.

At risk of attracting attention to myself, I have submitted an enquiry to ask why this is and to confirm that they will not charge interest or penalties. I better now pay for the difference manually to make doubly sure they don't mess up my account further.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...nt-a-mess.html
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Much obliged. I knew it was only last year but even the google search method didn't bring it up.

Mods, feel free to merge if NF has fixed that functionality.

Comment

Quarterly rant about how MTD persists in showing that I owe less than half of the amount in Box 5. Expecting an email any day now to tell me they're collecting the wrong amount by DD.

Once again I've filled in a form to HMRC to advise them of the cock up that is their system. The last one was neither acknowledged nor responded to so I presume the same level of customer service will continue.

I just want someone to explain why the amount they decide I owe, and therefore what they collect, bears no resemblance to what I know I owe.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Quarterly rant about how MTD persists in showing that I owe less than half of the amount in Box 5. Expecting an email any day now to tell me they're collecting the wrong amount by DD.

Once again I've filled in a form to HMRC to advise them of the cock up that is their system. The last one was neither acknowledged nor responded to so I presume the same level of customer service will continue.

I just want someone to explain why the amount they decide I owe, and therefore what they collect, bears no resemblance to what I know I owe.

thank god you pay for an accountant to take all this hassle away!

Can't you just make an overpayment for the shortfall you think you owe that HMRC don't?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

thank god you pay for an accountant to take all this hassle away!

Can't you just make an overpayment for the shortfall you think you owe that HMRC don't?
            I do my own VAT, not my accountant.

I have to make a manual payment every quarter to tidy up their mess.

My annoyment is that that they randomly change what I owe with absolutely no explanation or reason and I'm concerned that if I didn't check my online VAT account then I could end up owing thousands plus penalties and interest.

Comment

Working...
            X