• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got an ICO begging letter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by concord View Post
    Thanks! I missed that post and my accountant only sent a scan of the front side of the letter.
    I'd be having words with my accountant about that if it happened to me. It's not for them to decide what part of a letter is important.

Comment

i did the "fee-checker" questionnaire and it looks like I do not need to pay

but i haven't informed them through the "no-fee" form. Will it make any difference in case I was wrong with the self assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by biergarten View Post
        i did the "fee-checker" questionnaire and it looks like I do not need to pay

but i haven't informed them through the "no-fee" form. Will it make any difference in case I was wrong with the self assessment?
        If you don't tell them you're exempt, you could be fined up to £4000 for avoiding paying the fee (per https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...ee/exemptions/).

Surely you did the assessment honestly and to the best of your knowledge so I can't see there being any risk from notifying them of your exemption. The ICO say they may call you to confirm some details and I suspect you'll be invited to register and fork out £40 before you get anywhere near being fined for a misunderstanding...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If you don't tell them you're exempt, you could be fined up to £4000 for avoiding paying the fee (per https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...ee/exemptions/).

Surely you did the assessment honestly and to the best of your knowledge so I can't see there being any risk from notifying them of your exemption. The ICO say they may call you to confirm some details and I suspect you'll be invited to register and fork out £40 before you get anywhere near being fined for a misunderstanding...
          i did the self-assessment honestly

yeah, that's my question, informing them is placing you under the radar? or do they try to help you honestly? has somebody the experience of what you're telling? or are you making a guess?

sorry, but this kinda scheme brings me memories of the tv license and my auntie paying it even when not having a working tv for years because fear. they didn't stop sending the threatening letters even after telling them.

Comment

Originally posted by biergarten View Post

i did the self-assessment honestly

yeah, that's my question, informing them is placing you under the radar? or do they try to help you honestly? has somebody the experience of what you're telling? or are you making a guess?

sorry, but this kinda scheme brings me memories of the tv license and my auntie paying it even when not having a working tv for years because fear. they didn't stop sending the threatening letters even after telling them.
            I have registered as exempt previously and then heard nothing from them for a few years until getting a letter in this recent intiative. I decided this time to register and pay the £40 because I felt it was a good marketing thing to add that my company is ICO registered and so takes privacy seriously.

You should expect to receive periodic nudges as, like I mentioned in a previous post, things can change so a nudge to re-evaluate isn't a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
            X