• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget march 2021

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh blow for London as euro derivatives trading floods out
    Share of euro-denominated swaps market tumbles from 40% in July to 10% last month
    Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Trading in a key euro-denominated derivatives market flooded out of London last month to rival financial centres in New York, Amsterdam and Paris, in the latest evidence of the blow dealt by Brexit to the UK financial centre.

The trading of euro-denominated swaps in London dropped from nearly 40 per cent of the market last July to 10 per cent in January, according to a survey published by data provider IHS Markit on Thursday.

The shift in the trading of these derivatives — often used by investors to hedge against moves in interest rates and currencies — is another setback for London, which gave up its status as Europe’s top share trading hub to the Dutch capital after it fully left the EU last month.
    If this was happening in another country - people would be out in the streets.

I think most British people don't have a clue what's going on.

They're getting their furlough and they're happy as a pig in sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Yes inflation will reduce the value in savings.
      Deflation will be prevented at all costs but not by creating runaway inflation. That would be dumb.
      Current government strategy is to maintain inflation at 2% and it’s not working. The MPC keep writing letters to say so.
      QE is reducing the value in savings but not by inflation. It is a different effect due to buying back debt really cheap and that impacts the lending market meaning that savers can’t get a good return. Why would a bank pay to borrow from a saver when the government is handing out cash?

Interest rates are one tool. QE is another. They don’t have the same effect, but pressure the markets in a similar fashion. Which makes your argument over simplistic to the point of being wrong.
      Good to see I'm not "conflating things" anymore anyway.

I'm not sure who pissed in your cornflakes, but I couldn't be arsed dealing with your attitude any longer, here or in this post, so have it from another source.
      The U.K. Economy Is Broken

Comment

Originally posted by Pragmatist View Post
        Good to see I'm not "conflating things" anymore anyway.

I'm not sure who pissed in your cornflakes, but I couldn't be arsed dealing with your attitude any longer, here or in this post, so have it from another source.
        The U.K. Economy Is Broken
        Well done. You've found an 8 month old article, written by a journalist, that you think agrees with you.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Just thought I'd dust this thread off and see how the predictions a couple of pages up are coming along

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I suspect it will be a deferred kicking. ie. no major immediate changes, but getting us ready to feel the pain later this year/next year.

I can't see them keeping the stamp duty holiday in place (unless its some concession for in-flight purchases) - all that is doing is keeping the housing market (some would say artificially) inflated.
            I'm still happy with my predictions, though the kicking has been delayed due to the Delta variant, and the stamp duty holiday went on a bit longer that i expected (but i think many people now think that was a mistake).

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

This is 90% bulldung and reads like something right off HousePriceCrash or a Crypto site.

Also: you are Scooter and I claim my £250,000 short bet price.
              What do you think now?

Comment

What do you think now?
                I think nobody predicted the invasion of Ukraine.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I think nobody predicted the invasion of Ukraine.
                  What are your thoughts on what is coming next for the UK - economically and politically?

Comment

What are your thoughts on what is coming next for the UK - economically and politically?
                    economically - recession. followed by several years of reducing productivity.
                    politically - no idea. Too fluid.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X