• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fee charged towards Contractor Management System

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The efficiency benefit is 0.65%.
    The efficiency benefit will be less work for the end client as all the contractor costs are now attached to 1 validated invoice.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

aside from the other noise in the question.... and if this is taken at face value, a client requested drop in rates of less than 1%, in the financial sector, is not bad news.

The OP needs to make a business decision. Take the cut or risk losing the role.
      The only IR35 question they should have right now is what does the SDS say for after April 6th.

and OP should do some research over the rest of the holiday.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Or you could accept the reduction and be a lot more careful not to start work early, finish late or skimp on your lunch break.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          This was quite an interesting post the OP had up until

Why does everything have to come down to IR35 and how come people know so little about IR35 they have to ask everytime something changes? Boils my piss.

This is your livelihood, how come you know so little about IR35 you have to ask? WTF are you going to do next April when you are deemed inside?

How can you work out complex business situations like this when you can't apply the basics of something that's been around 10+ years? So many people pretending to be a contractor it's unreal.

But that aside... Im struggling to understand the situation with the contract. You say they've made a change to your contract. So they've dropped this on you and presented you with a new contract before the old one has expired with the new terms on it? Have they served notice on the old one or what?

I think it's a case of what Old Greg says... but... I'd play the game regarding contracts to the letter. They can't just give you another one and say here sign this. Make sure they give the proper notice on the old one and you'll sign that when the old one has expired. If they want to do this they've got to make sure it's done properly... unless they are and you've just not explained it clearly.

I know about IR35 regulation but wouldn't call myself to be an expert.

Yes, this has come midway through the current contract. Yes, they have served notice the new contract comes into force from mid Jan.

There is no mention of the 0.65% charges, the rate is just reduced to reflect the 0.65%.

My point is if this is a charge that I would need to bear, I would expect this to be reflected on the contract and I get a proper VAT receipt for the charges I paid. I will claim this as an expense to my business.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
            Assuming you bill 500/d and 22 days a month this is £11000 a month. 11000 * 0.0065 = £71.5 a month. You are going to quabble over 70 quid a month with your client? Are you stupid?
            I wouldn't either, but the point is this being enforced without a proper mention on the contract. If this was a legitimate charge towards a system that the client wants to implement, I would have expected a flat fee of £10 or £20 per month. £70 is still way too much considering how much these systems cost to implement these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              What is the fee meant to cover / provide?
              No idea, this came through as an email which just states, the client wants to move to a new contractor management system while the contractors were asked to go on furlough

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
                I would quibble it in an existing contract, in a new contract I'd accept its the cost of taking the business, but for an existing contract with no mention then I'd argue the toss or get them to up my rate by 1% to enable the cut to be taken
                Yes, this is precisely my point, thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by alshanky View Post
                  I know about IR35 regulation but wouldn't call myself to be an expert.

Yes, this has come midway through the current contract. Yes, they have served notice the new contract comes into force from mid Jan.

There is no mention of the 0.65% charges, the rate is just reduced to reflect the 0.65%.

My point is if this is a charge that I would need to bear, I would expect this to be reflected on the contract and I get a proper VAT receipt for the charges I paid. I will claim this as an expense to my business.
                  the 'charge' is not an expense to your business though is it?
                  It is a rate reduction for your business.

This is blindingly simple. Take it or don't.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    the 'charge' is not an expense to your business though is it?
                    It is a rate reduction for your business.

This is blindingly simple. Take it or don't.
                    +1 - all that has happened is that another company has been inserted between the agency and the end client and that change is being reflected in your end rate.

So it goes

End client pays 100%
                    CMS - receives 100% pays out 99.35%
                    Agency receives 99.35%

But as I new contract has been issued you only have 1 choice - accept the new contract or try to find a new one.

And given how little has changed I would take the new contract - it's not as if it is a 25% take it or leave cut.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X