• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35: Planning for April 2021 – should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PTP View Post
    It was a good question

What’s to stop HMRC (rightly or rather ambitiously) trying to say “Oh this inside35 project/job at CompanyA is identical and requires the same expertise as that project/service that you treated as outside35 at CompanyB, so they must have had the same kind of relationship with you and both been inside” ??

I think it’s the risk of an investigation being started that’s the question (so having to go through a load of hassle), not what’s the risk of losing it.
    Every contract is a separate case - provided you have appropriate documentation to demonstrate how Company B was outside you have nothing to worry about.

And HMRC aren't going to bother going that far, there are far far easier people to hit upon first.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It was a good question
      It really isn't.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It was a good question

What’s to stop HMRC (rightly or rather ambitiously) trying to say “Oh this inside35 project/job at CompanyA is identical and requires the same expertise as that project/service that you treated as outside35 at CompanyB, so they must have had the same kind of relationship with you and both been inside” ??

I think it’s the risk of an investigation being started that’s the question (so having to go through a load of hassle), not what’s the risk of losing it.
        Yep, something like this, plus I was thinking about the situation where one goes from outside to inside with the same client, then the HMRC investigate all your previous contracts, and over extrapolating...

Of course the above doesn’t apply as I always have had my contracts checked by Qdos, so now I can relax under my new umbrella

Comment

Originally posted by ginge View Post
          Yep, something like this, plus I was thinking about the situation where one goes from outside to inside with the same client, then the HMRC investigate all your previous contracts, and over extrapolating...

Of course the above doesn’t apply as I always have had my contracts checked by Qdos, so now I can relax under my new umbrella
          Unless all the roles you were in have been assed as inside by those clients and shaft you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Unless all the roles you were in have been assed as inside by those clients and shaft you.
            are you channelling NLyUK?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              are you channelling NLyUK?
              Is that what you call it down there?

Comment

24th Mar or 24th Feb? Taking a break from a client..

Great thread Guys. I'm a bit late to the party on this, and sorry if these have already been answered.

End client hasn't approached the subject of determining status, and we have agreed an end date to be before the 24th March (due to other non ir35 related reasons on both sides, downsizing, travel plans).

Contract states that I need to report hours on a weekly basis, which I do. But I invoice them in monthly batches (I sometimes send 3 invoices at once to cover a quarter).

From reading the initial post, I understand that I'm ok from the point of view that the services have been provided before the 6th April, regardless of when the invoices are paid.

But..

(1) I am bit confused on whether I am on weekly or monthly billing, and if should have left before the 24th Feb?

(2) Also, I expect to be back from travels in September, and the client has indicated that there may be more work coming up then and to check in with them. Can I, at that point ask them to determine status for roles that may be available then? Or should this now be no go client, and to look to provide services elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBrown View Post
                  Great thread Guys. I'm a bit late to the party on this, and sorry if these have already been answered.

End client hasn't approached the subject of determining status, and we have agreed an end date to be before the 24th March (due to other non ir35 related reasons on both sides, downsizing, travel plans).

Contract states that I need to report hours on a weekly basis, which I do. But I invoice them in monthly batches (I sometimes send 3 invoices at once to cover a quarter).

From reading the initial post, I understand that I'm ok from the point of view that the services have been provided before the 6th April, regardless of when the invoices are paid.

But..

(1) I am bit confused on whether I am on weekly or monthly billing, and if should have left before the 24th Feb?

(2) Also, I expect to be back from travels in September, and the client has indicated that there may be more work coming up then and to check in with them. Can I, at that point ask them to determine status for roles that may be available then? Or should this now be no go client, and to look to provide services elsewhere?
                  1. Why would that have any relevance on anything on anything IR35 related ? Leave on 24th March - get invoices in pronto and get paid job done

2. Yes, get a determination from them at that time

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I’m working Ltd up to the end of March and still no idea what to do next… Current client is blanket ban/Inside so do I:

Move to Umbrella and have my NI contributions go up and possibly get a letter from HMRC?
                    Move to Perm and have my NI contributions go up and possibly get a letter from HMRC?
                    Have time off and then get an Umbrella/Perm and have my NI contributions go up and possibly get a letter from HMRC?

Seems like the only way to avoid any targets on your back is to find an outside role at a small company or just have time off indefinitely?

Comment

Originally posted by mikedarv View Post
                      I’m working Ltd up to the end of March and still no idea what to do next… Current client is blanket ban/Inside so do I:

Move to Umbrella and have my NI contributions go up and possibly get a letter from HMRC?
                      Move to Perm and have my NI contributions go up and possibly get a letter from HMRC?
                      Have time off and then get an Umbrella/Perm and have my NI contributions go up and possibly get a letter from HMRC?

Seems like the only way to avoid any targets on your back is to find an outside role at a small company or just have time off indefinitely?
                      All up to you.

Work out what 25% of the contract outside IR35 is (very rough estimate of what HMRC would ask for) and if you can afford it stay on - then decide what to do
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X