• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MTM IR35 Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by futurecat View Post
    Folks.

The status of the Finance Bill 2008 can be seen using this webpage.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...8/finance.html

As you can see it is now moving along and will eventually become law. The key stages are those called "Comm" and "PP" which allow some form of debate and amendments to be made. If any changes can be made they are likely to be as a result of House of Commons debate.

What can we do? Well we can all write to our MP's to voice our concerns. The more people that write.. the more likley that we can force some kind of change. Writing to your MP is very easy and takes no more than 5 minutes! Just enter your PostCode in the Website below and you will be able to see who your local MP is and send an email instantly.

WWW.WRITETOTHEM.COM

These people are paid to represent us and so do not be cynical about this process. Below is a sample letter for you to use.

"

Dear MP,

Regarding Budget Note 66 AND the 2008 Finance Bill

I am writing to you regarding the 2008 Finance Bill which is currently being discussed in the House Of Commons. In particular I would like to draw your attention to Page 27 of Volume I of the Bill, which relates to "Double Taxation Arrangements".

The bill contains amendments which clarify the scope of existing "Double Taxation" law, which currently is ambiguous in many respects. However the proposed 2008 bill also contains a retrospective element which is incredibly rare for a piece of legislation. This retrospective element would see many innocent self employed individuals being mercilessly targeted by the HMRC.

Although I support changes in the law to clarify existing legislation, introducing a retrospective element is likely to result in blatant abuse of the tax laws by HMRC, especially as the existing laws were unclear to begin with.

Being a loyal voter for several years, I really would appreciate your support in forcing an amendment to this bill during its current reading so as to exclude this retrospective element which is grossly unfair

Yours faithfully

JOE BLOGGS

"

I for one am also going to write to as many Lords as possible, using the same website. Realistically though the House of Commons is our best bet, as the house of Lords is pretty toothless.

Please can you propogate this email on other message boards relating to this subject.
    Futurecat,

I have e-mailed this link to 30 or so scheme members I'm still in contact with.

Incidentally, you can find a list of MPs sitting on the Treasury Committee here:
    http://www.parliament.the-stationery.../430/43001.htm

Comment

Donkey,
      My latest letter suggests I have 30 days to get accounts from Montpelier. HMRC investigation unit tried contacting MTM in October lasy year, but have had no response - no change there.
      So they are now putting the onus onto me to get the accounts for them within 30 days or face a penalty ! Sounds a bit of a raw deal given that I can't get as much as a grunt out of MTM.
      My own accounts are not good enough for them either...
      Bloody mavellous.

Comment

Bad News. Finance Bill Debated

Hi All,

Some bad news. Just reading the discussions regarding the finance Bill 2008 in the house of commons. There was a posting showing the discussion taking place during the reading of the bill... you can find this here.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...m/80522s01.htm

If you read the discussion (all 3 pages) you will see that an amendemnt to the bill was proposed. This amendment would have removed the "retrospective element". However a vote was taken on this and only 7 people voted for the amendment and 13 against. As a result it sounds like the bill is going through unchanged (or thats what I can infer from the discussions)

Look for the words "clause 55, page 27, line 31". This is the line in the Finance Bill which contains the retrospective element, and it is this that which is being discussed. The vote is shown on the 3rd page. Pls shout if I have interepred this incorrectly.

Sorry to bring bad news.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper View Post
          Donkey,
          My latest letter suggests I have 30 days to get accounts from Montpelier. HMRC investigation unit tried contacting MTM in October lasy year, but have had no response - no change there.
          So they are now putting the onus onto me to get the accounts for them within 30 days or face a penalty ! Sounds a bit of a raw deal given that I can't get as much as a grunt out of MTM.
          My own accounts are not good enough for them either...
          Bloody mavellous.
          Hi, I haven't heard of anyone else receiving this letter. Maybe others are in the post. I would phone Montpelier on Tuesday and hassle them until they sort it out. I will also make them aware of it.

Next time, can you post on the "BN66 - Time to fight back" thread, which more people are following.

Cheers
          DR

Comment

Originally posted by futurecat View Post
            Hi All,

Some bad news. Just reading the discussions regarding the finance Bill 2008 in the house of commons. There was a posting showing the discussion taking place during the reading of the bill... you can find this here.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...m/80522s01.htm

If you read the discussion (all 3 pages) you will see that an amendemnt to the bill was proposed. This amendment would have removed the "retrospective element". However a vote was taken on this and only 7 people voted for the amendment and 13 against. As a result it sounds like the bill is going through unchanged (or thats what I can infer from the discussions)

Look for the words "clause 55, page 27, line 31". This is the line in the Finance Bill which contains the retrospective element, and it is this that which is being discussed. The vote is shown on the 3rd page. Pls shout if I have interepred this incorrectly.

Sorry to bring bad news.
            You have read it correctly. It is down to Montpelier now to try and stop it through a Judicial Review.

You may want to switch to the "BN66 - Time to fight back" thread where most of the discussions are taking place.

Comment

Message for Grim Reaper

I mentioned your predicament to Montpelier. I'm sure if you call them they will be able to reassure you that there is nothing to worry about.

Cheers
              DR
              Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 25 May 2008, 09:58. Reason: Remove person's name

Comment

Working...
              X