• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hearing Aid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Disablity equipment is VAT exempt when purchased by the disabled person. If you've ever bought a walking stick from a mobility shop , or hearing aid spares from an audioligist or online then you would know this.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    I haven’t, but it was OP who mentioned reclaiming VAT. It’s not being purchased by the disabled person though, it’s being purchased by the company.

Comment

Originally posted by phpcontractor View Post
      Hi

Has anybody here purchased a hearing aid through their limited company and reclaimed the VAT plus submitted as a business expense?

Looking at HS207 Non-taxable payments or benefits for employees (2016) - GOV.UK

"If you are a disabled employee and your employer provided you with special equipment to help you to work, such as a wheelchair or hearing aid, this exemption applied even if your private use of the equipment was significant because it was also used outside work."

I have read elsewhere that you will have to submit the cost on your P11D as a benefit in kind.

I would not classify myself as disabled but I have previously had a hearing test and I have 25% hearing loss. Getting a bit of a joke when I keep having to ask people to repeat themselves. Could go through the NHS but then that needs a referral and a hospital visit then the hearing aids that they give you.

Thanks
      Might be worth a read (& maybe a follow up call/email)...down towards the bottom of things yu can claim for:

Contractor Expenses FAQ - Meades Contractors Limited
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Thanks some really good information there. To expand a little, I have just received a Specsavers reminder to have my hearing tested again in Manchester. The last time I went my tester enthusiastically told me about my hearing loss and said that Specsavers were authorised to issue free hearing aids on behalf of the NHS for over 50s. When I relayed that my home address was in Lancashire not Greater Manchester he dolefully told me that you need to be over 55 to get free hearing aids via Specsavers in Lancashire. Talk about a postcode lottery...

Comment

Working...
        X