• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It is worth running a limited company with low income?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post
    I have assumed that IR35 doesn't apply and a salary of £8,424 is paid on the limited company scenario.
    So we need to get in to the IR35 status of his gig before he can make a decision then.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike82 View Post
      Hello,
      I'm selfemployed but the company I work for is not allowing me anymore to be self-employed. My agency suggested me to go limited company rather then getting paid PAYE. I'm earning £20000-24000/year maybe more but that amount is for sure , on this amount of money I would be better of limited company? I'm working in construction so I will have to register the company CIS.
      Thank you in advance!
      Best regards.
      Hi Mike,

As a rule of thumb as NLUK mentioned, somewhere over £30k+ profit will be when going limited is worthwhile. However, in your case in construction and CIS, if you go PAYE (Umbrella) then you'll need to apply the CIS they use on your jobs. I've not personally seen anyone use PAYE in this industry but I'm sure there are schemes out there.

Back on track, if you have to go limited, then nothing changes in how you actually carry out your physical work. You'll have to register your company for a new CIS (separate to your self employed one) and apply for either a gross payment certificate or have 20% deducted by the contractor, as you probably know. A limited company can be setup within 24hrs and CIS applied for thereafter. Everything would then switch over to the company name (invoicing, bills etc).

By the nature of your work in construction you're transient. The contractor should be declaring that your employment status has been considered and payments have not been made under contracts of employment when they submit their monthly CIS return (CIS300) and issue you with a payment certificate. Therefore, IR35 shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Working...
      X