• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client requesting LI profile changes, employee style signature, etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by man View Post
    1. They want me to update my LinkedIn profile to say I am working for them along with a provided advertising blurb (this request doesn't bother me too much as I'll find a way to make it clear I'm contracting with them and this the blurb is how they describe their business). They've chased me about it a number of times over just a few days (so I know they're serious).
    Tell them no, unless its in the contract.

2. They want me to change my email signature to look like one of their employee's (Name - 'Job title' - TheirCo etc).
    If you are using their mail system, then it’s their rules.

3. They don't want me to tell the end client that I'm a contractor at any point (!)
    Fairly standard with consultancies, but why is it an issue for you? It’s not generally a topic of conversation unless you make it one.

4. We (everyone on the project) are all in the same hotel. They booked it, MyCo paid for it, and they will reimburse (expenses are covered in the contract).
    Why is that a problem? You’re getting expenses back, you’re probably getting a good rate, and if it’s a hotel group, you’ll be getting the points on your loyalty card.

5. They've also asked me to fill in some additional end client forms that are very employee-employer (So much so that I've sent them off for IR35 advice).
    What forms?

To be honest, points 2,3,4 &5 sound like you are over-reacting or just not aware/used to how consultancies work.

I’ve worked at end clients where they don’t want me telling some of their staff I am a contractor. And I’ve worked through consultancies who have told me to tell their clients I am a contractor as they would charge me in at 2x the rate of their own staff.

If staying in the same hotel as permies is a big issue for you, you might want to step away from contracting.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

1. They want me to update my LinkedIn profile to say I am working for them along with a provided advertising blurb (this request doesn't bother me too much as I'll find a way to make it clear I'm contracting with them and this the blurb is how they describe their business). They've chased me about it a number of times over just a few days (so I know they're serious).
      Ask if they'll reciprocate and add your Ltd as a strategic partner on their LI/website ?!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

To be honest, points 2,3,4 &5 sound like you are over-reacting or just not aware/used to how consultancies work.

I’ve worked at end clients where they don’t want me telling some of their staff I am a contractor. And I’ve worked through consultancies who have told me to tell their clients I am a contractor as they would charge me in at 2x the rate of their own staff.

If staying in the same hotel as permies is a big issue for you, you might want to step away from contracting.
        I'm still not sure the problem with updating LinkedIn that some people have. My LI profile always has my current client in terms they'd find acceptable. Only when I leave would I change that to represent what I want it to.

LinkedIn is quite a bit more than an advert for your LTD. It's where clients, and their customers find information about who the chuff they're dealing with. If you're working for a consultancy, it's reasonable for them to ask that you represent them in a favourable fashion. Exactly how you do that is down to you.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
        X