• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

retention from employment in Basel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retention from employment in Basel

Can anyone share what a correct money retention should be in Basel, Swiss ? I am only getting 58 % retention, and seems 10% below what most internet sources say ....

I am employed by a recruitment company locally.

As I said here: contractor salary issue (is it a fraud) - English Forum Switzerland
    The chain is: client pays agency, agency pays payroll/umbrella company, umbrella company pays you. Each take their cut. Sometimes the agency runs its own payroll company, but for understanding treat them as separate entities.

Client pays agency 1000. Agency pays your umbrella company/payroll company 800 (this is your fee, this is what was advertised). From the 800 the umbrella company takes an admin fee. That leaves, e.g. 750. From the 750 comes ALL the employment expenses, including all employer expenses - like certain insurances and employer social contributions.

That leaves you with a gross daily salary of, perhaps, 600.

So your gross is 75% of your fee. It could even be less - much depends on your personal situation and exactly where you live. Now deduct tax, employee's social, insurances, rolled up holiday pay, pension. Yes, maybe that does leave you with 58% retention.

Your agency should be able to give you a complete breakdown of deductions - have you asked them for it?

btw - get your tickets for the Basel Panto (Basel English Pantomime Group – Every Christmas something magical happens in Basel). You can reserve tickets for the Gay Beggars (the theatre group of the Basel University English department) from here The Gay Beggars Drama Group Basel.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
    X