• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Citizen resident abroad contracting in the UK - Expense reimbursement questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raygo View Post
    [LIST=1]

1. Can I get my monthly rent expenses reimbursed by MyCo Ltd
    2. Can I get my monthly travel expenses reimbursed by MyCo Ltd
    3. Not so important - Can I get my daily food costs reimbursed by MyCo Ltd or do the normal rules apply of 5 - 10 hours £5 subsistence and 10 hours £10 and if working evening as well £x (I don't know how much it is)

For question 3. I know that if the answer is yes to 1 and 2 then 3 would be a given. Of course all of these are valid up to 24 months as far as I understand it and from then on it becomes your normal place of work and you can no longer get all of the above fully reimbursed.

I haven't found anything on the web so far on a situation similar to this. I've asked my accountant and he's asked around the office and he's getting conflicting answers. SOme say yes, some say no.

The residence you rent in the UK would become your primary residence for UK tax purposes and as such the rent would not be an allowable expense for the company as it would if your family home was in a different part of the UK.

As a result of the property becoming your primary residence the travel to and from your family abroad would also not be allowable for the company as an expense.

If you had setup a company in your home country and then worked in the UK the costs may have been allowable depending on that countries tax rules, but you would likely still be liable to UK corporation tax on any income generated in the UK.

Travel from the UK property to your client site would be allowable per the temporary workplace rules though and the same for subsistence claims.

Comment

Thanks Kenny

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
      The residence you rent in the UK would become your primary residence for UK tax purposes and as such the rent would not be an allowable expense for the company as it would if your family home was in a different part of the UK.
      Strange that if I'm already in another part of the UK my rent would be reimbursable. I guess it's because you're paying double rent or something.

If you had setup a company in your home country and then worked in the UK the costs may have been allowable depending on that countries tax rules, but you would likely still be liable to UK corporation tax on any income generated in the UK.
      Fair enough, happy to pay all taxes that need to be paid obviously, would have just been nice to be able to have these reimbursed.
      Last edited by Raygo; 6 September 2018, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Raygo View Post
        Strange that if I'm already in another part of the UK my rent would be reimbursable. I guess it's because you're paying double rent or something.
        No, it's because you'd already be tax resident in the UK.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Well, thanks for all your responses I'll continue researching this further and if I find any more useful info I'll post it here.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X