• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Buyer - Purchase timing advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Buyer - Purchase timing advice

Hello forum.

On behalf of a younger friend (yes, really!) up north I wanted to ask on his behalf as he is about to buy property. He doesn't post here but I've told him to consider it before. Posting in Accounting, rather than General, for obvious reasons.

Deposit could be up to £110k on a remote cottage that I personally think - and have told him as much - could be difficult to sell during any downturn. In Scotland and Northern England I would say they are at peak prices that cannot go much higher when our economy has crapped out.

Stats:
    His age - 33
    Contractor for approx 8 years (as a guess)
    Single
    Location - west Scotland
    Warchest - he says £300k in the business bank account, but I don't know the truth of this or the finer details of this
    First time buyer
    Property - cottages, houses with small pieces of land attached. £300k to £400k pricing

Life is different for me, as I have a wife and children. I am risk averse!
    I have advised him to hold off buying in a rural community mostly due to the brexit effect, currency devaluation and what surely is a forthcoming negative effect on house prices our badly performing economy. Even when accounting for increased inflation percentage I suspect house prices will dip substantially (10 to 25%) over the next few years.
    His argument is: if he says this forever he will never own a house or settle somewhere

He seems too young to me to be moving to a small village. Have any others considered this recently and can offer advice?

I am trying to persuade him to buy a smaller flat somewhere central to tide him over but I can understand his impatience at feeling sick of waiting. I was the same in 2005, but regret my rushing into a purchase so shortly before the financial crash. Hindsight is wonderful!

Whats the question here?

Can we move this to general?

Comment

No-one can predict a property crash or boom. It's crystal ball stuff.

I don't know why you're so set against him living in a village. City centre living isn't for everyone.

I'm not sure if you're telling him to buy an investment property or a home. The criteria for each is vastly different.

Not clear what your ask is. Personally, I would tell him to pick a HOME that he would be happy with for a good while, in whatever location he wants to settle. Negative equity only becomes an issue if you need (rather than want) to sell, can't afford your repayments, or need to borrow against the property.

Comment

If he's not telling the truth about his warchest, advice is meaningless. Why would you think he isn't? If he's been contracting for a while as a single guy and isn't a big spender (people who want to live in a village often aren't, that's not the profile of a hookers and blow kind of guy), he should have a big warchest.

If your profile is right, guess what? He can afford to lose £50-100K on his house if the market crashes. If it is where he wants to live, and he thinks he'll stay a while, the price is likely to recover over time, even if it crashes. No one has figured out how to create new land in the UK, demand is eventually going to outstrip supply and drive prices back up again. The exception would be if demand permanently crashes because hundreds of thousands die when we get nuked by Putin or Trump or a terrorist. In that case we've got bigger problems than house prices, and he's got a better chance in a village than a city.

Or in other words, go back to trying to win tennis tournaments, your time is almost up, and let the guy buy what he wants. The only worthwhile advice you can give him is: 'Have you considered the midges in the west of Scotland? Are you out of your mind?'

Comment

The best time would be to buy 20 years ago. The second best time would be now.

Comment

Are you moving in with him to pull your resources ? Does his passion for cottaging not excite you? At the end of the day let him do what he wants, a skinky flat is not what he wants

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              pull your resources
              I've never heard it called that before, but OP probably can handle it by himself without moving in with someone.

Are there no mods around to move this thread to General?

Comment

Sounds like you’re interfering.... bluntly....

He doesn’t want to ask the question in a forum. Probably doesn’t care what we think. Have you considered minding your own business? Your financial screw ups aren’t his problem.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks all.

The guy's family were sadly lost in a car crash two years ago, so I can see he is a bit lost at times with where to live and what to do with himself.

The main concerns from me, as a friend, were that he would be isolating himself unintentionally and also moving at one of the most expensive times in the market in Scotland. I looked at rightmove.co.uk for Glasgow and then along the west coast and could not believe the prices that surveys are being completed at. Their 'offers over' system seems to encourage a price 10 to 20% below what the seller expects to receive, judging by the sold prices in different popular areas.

I don't know about you lot but my friends seem to be staying in the same houses with no plans to move, seeming to be scared to move in case the market blows up. A couple of friends who run major housing agencies have said they expect a reasonable correction within the next year. For a young person's first purchase I would often pass information such as this on.

I have bought and sold homes in Scotland some years ago, in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but the prices seem to have skyrocketed for a dull two bedroom tenement to levels I can only recall in 2007. Young folks can have short memories of 2007 if they were too busy jetsetting rather than house hunting back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Sounds like you’re interfering.... bluntly....

He doesn’t want to ask the question in a forum. Probably doesn’t care what we think. Have you considered minding your own business? Your financial screw ups aren’t his problem.
                    He doesn't use the forum at all and appears to be one of those intuitive people who rely on their own research. Still, no harm asking.

My caution and luck have meant I have not had any financial screw ups. Luck is probably the major player.

Would you advise your hypothetical offspring to buy a house right now given the market conditions in most of outer-London?
                    Last edited by rogerfederer; 21 July 2018, 10:46.

Comment

Working...
                    X