• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atlantic Umbrella - Any Thoughts / Experience of Them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantic Umbrella - Any Thoughts / Experience of Them?

Anyone had any experience of Atlantic Umbrella? Good website and seem genuine & plausible (as such companies always do) but would appreciate any views as I'm trying to decide between Ltd Co and Umbrella.

They're selling themselves based on the amount of expenses they will allow you to claim.

1) This is dodgy since if you don't actually have receipts for those expenses you will be in trouble.
    2) As from April 2007 you will no longer be able to claim any expenses with an umbrella service.

Just go Ltd, it make much more sense and you get to pay yourself dividends and therefore less tax than any umbrella can offer.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Also I suggest you have a look at the stickies in the legal/accounting section
      Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Firstly surely a round of is in order.
        Secondly how could you possibly have missed the pre budget speech that has quite literally turned umbrella companies into payroll companies that will offer no incentive above PAYE. Go Limited its the only way.

Comment

It's not spam, I'm genuinely investigating the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyG
            It's not spam, I'm genuinely investigating the best way to go.

If you intend to contract for the reasonable future then go Ltd! If you intend to do 1 short term contract, go with a reputable brolly that operate a strict PAYE with no 'special' dispensations.

HTH

Comment

umbrella's and expenses

Have the Revenue actually come out and confirmed this regarding umbrella's?

2) As from April 2007 you will no longer be able to claim any expenses with an umbrella service

Comment

Originally posted by gravesendboy
                Yes. See - http://forums.contractoruk.com/threadnav12716-1-10.html - for SJDs summing up of the forthcoming legislation.

Go and have a read yourself if you like - http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/pre_bu...6_repindex.cfm
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by gravesendboy

2) As from April 2007 you will no longer be able to claim any expenses with an umbrella service
                  My brolly is stating they can as they have had confirmation they are not an MSC.

Comment

I've seen at least one outfit which advertises an insurance policy which (providing your contract is deemed by them to be outwith IR35) covers you against any IR35 claims. I'm not convinced that the policy is one which you could in reality claim against though. Anyway, my main problem in deciding which way to go is because I'm probably caught by IR35 and I'm reluctant to take a chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X