• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency has gone into administration owing several invoices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency has gone into administration owing several invoices

I was forced by a re-seller to use an agency that has gone into administration, owing me several unpaid invoices. The agency was part owned by the re-seller and shared a lot of business. The re-seller refuses to acknowledge any debt to me, directing me to the administrators. What can i do ?

Originally posted by simonb1 View Post
    I was forced by a re-seller
    Not seen that term before in a contracting context.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Contract was with the agent not the re-seller so thats where you have to go. The administrators would have to investigate the links and if anything is recoverable.

Do you have IPSE+ membership so can claim on the business interruption cover?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Doesn't the re-seller want you anymore? Can the put you through a different agent? You aren't still working for them are you?

Comment

If you are still working for the client raise your fees due to 'operational risk' to claw back some of what is owed. They are obviously a dodgy bunch based on the setup you describe so don't expose yourself to any more risk than you can live with. i.e. any future work is paid in a shorter time scale so there's no chance of going unpaid for multiple invoices. You 'down tools' if an invoice is unpaid in the agreed timescale.

If you're moving on then not much you can do but ensure your debt is registered with the administrators. With a bit of luck they'll go after the re-seller company due to any cross ownership, but expect and prepare to get nothing significant back from what you're owed so you can plan accordingly financially wise.

Depending on the accounting method (cash or accrual) you may be able to offset the unpaid invoice as a loss against profits to reduce tax, so worth checking with your accountant if you have one.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Also please name the reseller and agency so we know to avoid any new companies they may spin up...

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              Not seen that term before in a contracting context.
              And what do you think a recruitment agent is?

Comment

The key here is - are you still working with the end client?
                If so, speak to them about your situation; they may be able to get the contract terminated and get you through a different agent on better terms.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you are still working for the end client.... Why?????

Comment

still with the end client

I'm still with the end client - the re-seller and a new agency. The re-seller moved me to the new agency with the promise of paying the unpaid work and then 3 weeks ago after finishing the transition all new contracts signed, reneged on the promise. The client is leaning on the re-seller to find a solution but it is coming clear they will do nothing. The client has told me legally there is nothing they can do, they are sympathetic to me and are quietly suggesting I work for them through another route at a higher rate. My relationship with the client is very important.

Comment

Working...
                    X