• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a NAS as a business expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I have no hesitation buying most IT/office equipment through the business if it’s used for any kind of business purpose and I don’t waste time worrying about whether or not HMRC would agree. If there’s absolutely no business purpose or use then I don’t.
    Ditto. I'm an IT Consultancy - I sometimes need IT stuff..

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    IMO not a business expense and it's not worth enough to be buggering about with. Still comes out of your pocket at the end of the day albeit at a discount.
    I still don't get this line of thinking.The savings aren't inconsiderable - even just VAT is a chunk, that's before the CT saving and personal tax savings.
    Last edited by vwdan; 13 May 2018, 10:04.

Comment

Do it, you are obviously using it for the business so do it

Though I would look at QNap myself
      Last edited by portseven; 15 May 2018, 20:04.
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
        Do it, you are obviously using it for the business so do it

Though I would look at QNap myself
        Getting a bit OT but after looking at a lot of NAS I've come down to a choice of similar models from QNAP and Synology.. Mostly it's looking like the final choice will be down to preference on the OS since the performance seems very similar. Interested to know your pref. for the QNAP?
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

I bought a Synology NAS and put it through MyCo.

I do have cloud storage but I also like on-premise storage. Belts and braces

Comment

It all gets written off for Tax purposes in yourCo. in the financial year in which it is purchased. Depending on how much it costs, your Accountant will either expense it, or capitalise it, and depreciate it as per YourCo'.s Accounting Policy.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
              I don't see why this wouldn't be a business expense.

If its going to be used primarily for business use then I'd put it through.
              If you class the first 25 seasons of The Simpsons on wmv as a business use, fair enough.

It would take significant effort to justify it as a business expense, especially if family have access to it. That said, I've always been risk averse on things like that.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

“Significant effort”

Hmm...

“Hello Mr Tax Inspector, as an IT business I have a lot of important files on my laptop. As well as offline cloud backups it’s also important for me to keep local backups of important files and as a business I have decided that a NAS is the easiest and most efficient way of doing so. Yes I do have some personal files on there too, just like on my laptop, but I don’t consider this incidental personal use to be significant.”

Done.

Any incidental personal use of a business asset like a NAS is treated in the exact same way as it would your laptop.

HMRC have got more important things to do than nitpick over a business’ backup policy and hardware requirements.
                Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 16 May 2018, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  If you class the first 25 seasons of The Simpsons on wmv as a business use, fair enough.

It would take significant effort to justify it as a business expense, especially if family have access to it. That said, I've always been risk averse on things like that.
                  Do you honestly think that an inspection by HMRC would go to the detail of checking users and files on a storage device?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    I still don't get this line of thinking.The savings aren't inconsiderable - even just VAT is a chunk, that's before the CT saving and personal tax savings.
                    This. Contra NLUK, the money doesn't come out of your pocket, it comes out of your company and out of HMRC's pocket. Neither of those are your pocket, since you are not your company, as those of us who are Cut Out To Be A Contractor know.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

What else do you expect people to watch at their annual Christmas party with their other employees?

Comment

Buy a dining table, class it as a conference table. They won't check.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X