• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal Side Gig, need a TV, can I claim on my business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets just apply a bit of common sense here.

If I needed a TV to test an Apple TV app, I would have no hesitation to put the cost of a small, cheap TV through the business if it was necessary to test the app properly. As others have said, a 4K monitor with a separate pair of speakers may also do the trick. I'd be looking at getting the cheapest option that allows me to get the job done because that's just good business sense.

HMRC may rightly question it if you use it as an excuse to buy a £1000+ 4K top of the range telly. However a < £150 no-name 28" telly clearly for the purposes of testing - I don't see the issue.

Similarly most people aren't going to be able to justify putting an Xbox through the business...unless their business is Xbox games development in which case it is obviously a justifiable cost.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 11 April 2018, 12:15.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
      This is my view if the tv is wholly, exclusively and necessary for you do to that dev work.
      It only has to be wholly and exclusively for business purposes. It doesn't need to be "necessary" as it's a business expense, not an employee expense.

Comment

Working...
      X