• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making Partner a Director and Shareholder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Partner a Director and Shareholder

Hi All,

Looking for advice on the process to make my wife a director and Shareholder in my Limited company.

I opened the limited company 5 years ago and I am the sole director. I have been contracting most that time and have decent level of reserves.

The company has one £1 ordinary share myself being the only shareholder.

My wife was made redundant from her job in January 2017 and due to medical reason has not searched for full time employment (and does not intend to for the foreseeable future). She has however picked up short term contract positions which have invoiced through the company. She also carries out the usual admin tasks within the company.

As she is contributing to the company and also for ease of administration I would like her to be a director and equal shareholder in the company. My question is how can I do this?

I asked my accountant and he wants £500 to do it, I thought this was quite steep as I did not think to much would be involved.

By searching the internet, I found to make her a director was done by completing the AP01 form through companies house which was simple enough.

The next bit making her a shareholder which seems more difficult.

I can see there is the SH01 form Return of Allotment of Shares, but I am not sure what I should do here?

Do I split the existing share? or do I issue a new share?

Are there any other forms I need to complete?

Sorry for all the questions, I am sure I am guilty of over thinking this.

Cheers

£500 does seem a bit on the steep side but you are going to get charged something for the work they have to do so it's not extortionate I guess. Small potatoes for getting it right though. One slip up is going to cost you much much more.

Pay your accountant and do it properly.
    Might just review your accountant choice and make sure it's the one for you again. If they are expensive with this then maybe it's not the best package overall for you.

She also carries out the usual admin tasks within the company.
    Cool story bro
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

£500? That's is really steep!

You need to:

Appoint your wife as a director at companies house
      Issue another share in your company at companies house
      Allocate that share to her

That is all just admin tasks. Sometimes we charge a small fee for dealing with this (by small I mean around £50), otherwise we do it with no charge.

You are correct in that companies house is where you need to start, if you log in with your authentication code, you will be able to add a director and issue more shares.

PM me if you need any assistance.

Comment

My accountants charge £250, but that included splitting the shares into A & B shares, that way my dividends are at a different level to The Wife (tm). She is not a director, just a shareholder.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
          £500? That's is really steep!

You need to:

Appoint your wife as a director at companies house
          Issue another share in your company at companies house
          Allocate that share to her

That is all just admin tasks. Sometimes we charge a small fee for dealing with this (by small I mean around £50), otherwise we do it with no charge.

You are correct in that companies house is where you need to start, if you log in with your authentication code, you will be able to add a director and issue more shares.

PM me if you need any assistance.
          Which is nice of you to offer but I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if I came across this. It's an extra service for which I'd expect to be charged. It would take more than an hour and would rely on expert knowledge to use the best setup and avoid problems for which you also expect to come with a charge. I'd say you are selling yourself short there but if it's part of a bigger customer retention exercise then good on you.

£250 for doing this seems more than reasonable, £500 too much maybe so negotiate. Still wouldn't be doing it myself even if I had half an idea.

Comment

Charges

Hmmmm, perhaps we should be charging for this then......normally cover it as standard help through the year as it's pretty straight forward.

Comment

£500.00 seems a bit steep, but dependant on the share structure as mentioned if A & B shares may be justifiable.

I'm sure quite a few contractor accountants, could assist in this service as a part of their monthly fee or for a much smaller fee.
              Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
                Hmmmm, perhaps we should be charging for this then......normally cover it as standard help through the year as it's pretty straight forward.
                Oh, so it seems it's part of the service. Useful to know should I ever need this service. Maybe I'm thinking back to SJD times when you got charged for everything above and beyond the basic service.

Comment

Be cheaper to close the company and start a new one with both the OP and wife as shareholders (obviously not going the ER route).

Think Id be asking my long term accountant, hint, hint, that I was looking for a lower price. Did this with my long time accountant when the bills were increasing each year. He asked how much of a reduction I was looking for so told him I wasnt a greedy person so how about 10% off the top. Agreed, he said. Worked for me!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Which is nice of you to offer but I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if I came across this. It's an extra service for which I'd expect to be charged. It would take more than an hour and would rely on expert knowledge to use the best setup and avoid problems for which you also expect to come with a charge. I'd say you are selling yourself short there but if it's part of a bigger customer retention exercise then good on you.

£250 for doing this seems more than reasonable, £500 too much maybe so negotiate. Still wouldn't be doing it myself even if I had half an idea.
                    £250 for an hours work!! How much do you think accountants earn!?

Comment

Working...
                    X