• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spring Statement 2018 - Like to hear the feedback from the contractors.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    Pick 100 random contractors and I will show you that 99 of them are neither small businesses nor entrepreneurs but disguised permies pretending to be "businessmen" running a Ltd. company tax evasion vehicle.
    FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You (and most of us) are a skilled professional getting paid market rate for the work you do. You operate as a small business for a range of good commercial reasons to link your skills to the demand market

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are too many who fail to realise that.
      I agree. There are the "permatractors" who stay at a place forever, but for those who make their skills available to the market, they are operating a small business and should not be seen as employees.

In my case, I'd hope no one would disagree. Unlike most of you, I have four fee-earning employees and three very part-time subcontractors. In dead times, my fees from my contracts help to pay employee salaries. In good times, their fees give me a nice boost. That's running a business.

You know what's stupid? I still have to worry about IR35. If I had a contract that technically could be ruled inside IR35, and I ended up using the funds from it to pay employee salaries, they could still hold me liable for tax on a deemed payment. That's really, really stupid. So I have to have cover for that, and get contracts reviewed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wijay@WISAccountancy View Post
        "We are the party of small business and the champion of the entrepreneur," said the Chancellor...True?
        Champion? Does that mean he thinks he's defeated all the entrepreneurs?

He hasn't, but he should get some credit for trying....

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          FTFY
          And that is not being a business? Maximum return for minimal effort is the definition of business efficiency.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
            Has anything contractor related come out of yesterdays statement, particularly regarding potential IR35 changes in the private sector? I've not managed to find anything.
            Nothing...
            Worth reading this.
            https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...art_doubt.html

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Champion? Does that mean he thinks he's defeated all the entrepreneurs?

He hasn't, but he should get some credit for trying....
              I wish he quoted as "We are the party of small business and the champion of the entrepreneurs, Contractors and Freelancers"

Comment

Working...
              X