• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE Employment Allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE Employment Allowance

Hi ! I've just received a PAYE underpayment letter from HMRC for years ending 2015 and 2016 - double checking my account on-line all the balances were £0 so I gave HMRC a call.

They said it was due to the employment allowance I used in those years no being allowable (I'm a single employer/director company).

I stopped claiming this from April 2016 when the rules changed https://www.gov.uk/government/public...es-in-the-year

HMRC said it wasn't allowable from 2014 but I can't see anywhere it says it was (or will be) applied retrospectively.

Has anyone else had similar issues/discussions with HMRC ?

Many thanks in advance !

How much were you paying yourself for those two years?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Were you IR35 for those years?

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
        Were you IR35 for those years?
        Eh?

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me !

Re IR35 - for those years I was a contractor i.e. "passed" the employee test

In 2014-15 I paid myself £10027 and in 2015-16 £9849 alongside some dividend payments.

I'm also in the process of writing to HMRC to ask for details on where the charge came from so will report back when I hear from them !

Cheers,

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by worthywow View Post
            This makes even less sense than craigys reply

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Eh?
              I ask because HMRC do not believe that you can claim the employment allowance if you are IR35.

I disagree and have claimed it for my clients, but HMRC disagree.

Therefore, my question was relevant...

Comment

Originally posted by worthywow View Post
                Thanks for getting back to me !

In 2014-15 I paid myself £10027 and in 2015-16 £9849 alongside some dividend payments.

I'm also in the process of writing to HMRC to ask for details on where the charge came from so will report back when I hear from them !

Cheers,

Richard
                Sounds to me like the claim wasn't made properly for the allowance.

Comment

Working...
                X