• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unusual Contract Items?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Contract Items?

Hi,

There are some items in my current contract that seem a little strange to me, so I wonder if you guys could have a look and tell me your thoughts - is this stuff to be expected or is it an issue? Thanks in advance.

The "Hiring Schedule" includes:
    Initially Assigned Contractor: <my name>
    Notice Period
    <agency> to <my company>: NA
    <my company> to <agency >: NA
    <agency> to contractor: 5 days

This seems very odd - the contract is very short (an initial scoping piece with an extension promised) but to have the notice periods set up like that?

I also have a "Work Order" which contains the following:
    The Period of assignment may be extended by <agency> if required.
    Either Party can terminate this Work Order by given two (2) weeks notice to the other party.

Combined with the other items in the "Hiring Schedule" I really don't understand what these mean. The WO contains the rate, does this mean I have to give notice if I want to renegotiate? And does it mean they can extend it without my consent?

Yours, some what confused ........

Originally posted by Enterprising Victorian View Post
    Hi,

There are some items in my current contract that seem a little strange to me, so I wonder if you guys could have a look and tell me your thoughts - is this stuff to be expected or is it an issue? Thanks in advance.

The "Hiring Schedule" includes:
    Initially Assigned Contractor: <my name>
    Notice Period
    <agency> to <my company>: NA
    <my company> to <agency >: NA
    <agency> to contractor: 5 days

This seems very odd - the contract is very short (an initial scoping piece with an extension promised) but to have the notice periods set up like that?

I also have a "Work Order" which contains the following:
    The Period of assignment may be extended by <agency> if required.
    Either Party can terminate this Work Order by given two (2) weeks notice to the other party.

Combined with the other items in the "Hiring Schedule" I really don't understand what these mean. The WO contains the rate, does this mean I have to give notice if I want to renegotiate? And does it mean they can extend it without my consent?

Yours, some what confused ........
    You can't break the contract whereas the agency can on 5 days notice. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

The Work Order can be revoked by either party on 2 weeks notice.

In other words there is a commercial arrangement in place to cover your supply of services in general to the agency (and presumably from them to the end client). The work to be done is described specifically within the bounds of that contract as a Work Order. If your initial work means you get further things to do, there will be a new Work Order within the overall contract. And, of course, you can then have a discussion over rate once you know what is needed to be done (which I assume is the purpose of the intial WO).

It's not a bad arrangement and quite IR35 friendly.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
    X