• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment - which HMRC account?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment - which HMRC account?

So I have some personal tax to pay this year (via BACS), however the SA statement from HMRC gives different bank account details (Shipley) than the one provided by my accountant when they did my SA return (they specified Cumbernauld).

I queried the difference with the accountant but all they said was that the Cumbernauld account was the one they gave to all their clients.

My tax reference is (of course) the same from both sources but I'm undecided which account to use.

Common sense suggests to go with the one provided by HMRC on the SA statement, but I'm curious. Does it actually matter as long as the payment reference is correct?
    Do what thou wilt

Go with the details and reference from HMRC's statement - go online to get the very newest copy if you have a login to it.

But check with your accountant ;-)
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Who is your accountant? If that’s all they replied then that’s a crap reply....

Comment

Once upon a time it seemed to make a difference, as far as I can tell it doesn’t these days. So long as you are using your personal reference it’s ok and the money gets to your account.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          So I have some personal tax to pay this year (via BACS), however the SA statement from HMRC gives different bank account details (Shipley) than the one provided by my accountant when they did my SA return (they specified Cumbernauld).

I queried the difference with the accountant but all they said was that the Cumbernauld account was the one they gave to all their clients.

My tax reference is (of course) the same from both sources but I'm undecided which account to use.

Common sense suggests to go with the one provided by HMRC on the SA statement, but I'm curious. Does it actually matter as long as the payment reference is correct?
          It doesn't matter.

My accountant also suggested Cumbernauld but it really makes no odds. Unless of course Shipley are inefficient/stupid/clumsy/lazy/idiots, like their brexiteer MP.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

(Via BACS) = you have this option on your bank account - I don't think so?

Just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
              (Via BACS) = you have this option on your bank account - I don't think so?

Just wondering
              They are different account numbers.
              Some basic research instead of 'wondering' would help.
              HMRC BACs payment
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                They are different account numbers.
                Some basic research instead of 'wondering' would help.
                HMRC BACs payment
                Doooh, Yes big companies setup for BACS can pay that way making 1000's of transactions

You won't have that option from your personal or business account to pay by BACS

Faster payment or chaps only

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  Doooh, Yes big companies setup for BACS can pay that way making 1000's of transactions

You won't have that option from your personal or business account to pay by BACS

Faster payment or chaps only
                  I don’t know what you think bacs is but it’s not that.

I paid my SA using bacs last week. And will pay CT by bacs in the next month or so.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    I don’t know what you think bacs is but it’s not that.

I paid my SA using bacs last week. And will pay CT by bacs in the next month or so.
                    I know you think you did, but unless you are setup as a direct user and used Bacstel-IP software after going through the setup process or indirectly via another bank (again requires a setup process) I don't think you did

Comment

Working...
                    X