• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not including Rates and Hours on Invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not including Rates and Hours on Invoice

Evening All,

After having gone perm for sometime, I will begin contracting again via agency. (Hourly Rate - Private Sector)

As I am getting my LTD affairs in order my new accountant suggested when raising my invoice to the agency I should not include my hours worked and rate, but simply the total amount due for services provided that period. eg:, if 40 hours at £50ph, the invoice should just say:"..for services rendered... Total £2000" as the agency and client would have my timesheets and contract anyway.

His reasoning being its good practice when concerned about mr taxman and IR35 etc.
    Not a concern right now but as future contracts could well be inside, I was wondering about peoples thoughts on doing this and why.

Originally posted by stonehead View Post
    Evening All,

After having gone perm for sometime, I will begin contracting again via agency. (Hourly Rate - Private Sector)

As I am getting my LTD affairs in order my new accountant suggested when raising my invoice to the agency I should not include my hours worked and rate, but simply the total amount due for services provided that period. eg:, if 40 hours at £50ph, the invoice should just say:"..for services rendered... Total £2000" as the agency and client would have my timesheets and contract anyway.

His reasoning being its good practice when concerned about mr taxman and IR35 etc.
    Not a concern right now but as future contracts could well be inside, I was wondering about peoples thoughts on doing this and why.
    Makes no difference. Your contract will state you are paid an hourly rate, so whatever the invoice states is irrelevant.
    P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

It seems a bit odd to me.

If I charge a day rate I list the day rate as the line item amount and the number of days as the quantity.

I do the same for weekly billing.

I can’t see any reason why hourly would be any different. Your IR35 status isn’t going to be determined by the wording on your invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

If I charge a day rate I list the day rate as the line item amount and the number of days as the quantity.

I can’t see any reason why hourly would be any different. Your IR35 status isn’t going to be determined by the wording on your invoice.
        I agree.

One of my clients will only process invoices in a given format because their OCR isn't that good, so the format for all suppliers is mandated (unless you send in a paper copy), so I always include the details on that one.

Can't see it making any difference to anything.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes my thoughts exactly.
          I always tend to take my accountants advice on such matters but this one had me questioning how or why it would have any benifit at all.

Comment

Does your agent not auto generate your invoice for you anyway - most do

Comment

Originally posted by stonehead View Post
              Yes my thoughts exactly.
              I always tend to take my accountants advice on such matters but this one had me questioning how or why it would have any benifit at all.
              +1

99% I take my accountant's advice because I consider and expect it to be correct but I would agree that this seems odd.

One option if you feel more comfortable is to bill for "consultancy services provided between x/y/2017 and z/y/2017"
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

+1.
                I work with procurement teams that negotiate with the large consultancies. For transparency they insist on this minimum level of invoice breakdown. So if it's OK for the large consultancies to submit invoices in this way, it'll be OK for you, don't sweat it.
                HMRC won't be using invoice format as the smoking gun for in/out IR35 determinations. It'll be your contract and working practices.
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
                  +1.
                  I work with procurement teams that negotiate with the large consultancies. For transparency they insist on this minimum level of invoice breakdown. So if it's OK for the large consultancies to submit invoices in this way, it'll be OK for you, don't sweat it.
                  HMRC won't be using invoice format as the smoking gun for in/out IR35 determinations. It'll be your contract and working practices.
                  Thinking back to my one hourly rate contract, this is spot on when combined with my previous reply - the values showed X hours at £y/hour and then a total.

Then the VAT at the end.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'd recommend putting the dates worked on it. Can help if there's a dispute, or you lose track of what you have/haven't been paid for. Also on a more geeky level can help to see whether the year end accounts need any accrued/deferred income.

Comment

Working...
                    X