• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payroll RTI regular slightly early payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll RTI regular slightly early payment

Hi

I run a small business with just me and my wife both as directors.
    We both take a minimum salary each month which adds up to 8k at the end of the year.

Being an idiot who was completely naive I have been doing the following

Payroll which is run by automated web software by my accountant every 6th of the month

My actual bank withdrawals are often on the 2n or 3rd of every month one was even on the 29th of the previous month.

Obviously now I know this is wrong I will only pay ourselves after the 6th of every month.

However here is my big question. I am going for my wifes visa extension this week and hope this doesn't stop the whole process.
    This is all for my previous tax year. To show the Visa people I am making an effort do I tell HMRC? how do I tell them?, I know there will likely be fines and just make sure I don't do it again?

All the correct RTI's have been filed by my accountant but I have paid myseld a few days early each time.

As a director you can take a director’s loan at any time subject to certain rules, so I don’t see why theoretically, the early payments can’t be accounted for as loans, which were subsequently paid off when you ran the payroll.

Theoretically, of course.

Comment

Agreed - a lot of accountants operate like this using the director loan account, so you should be able to do the same. It shouldn't be a problem.

As you have an accountant, ask their advice.

Comment

Working...
      X