• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

End client rebranding me (and all contractors)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    End client rebranding me (and all contractors)

    My end client has recently implemented a number of changes that affect us independent contractors providing a service to them. We are no longer allowed to park on site and have to use the off site overflow car park. ..good it differentiates us from the permies. But a more recent change is that we are no longer referred to as Contractors we are now Contingent Workers. I have been go ogling to try to get a definition of what a contingent worker is and what if anything would it mean if dear old HMRC were to take a closer look but it is a very contradictory and confusing picture out there in Google land. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

    #2
    Erm.. You looked up the dictionary definition of contingent?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 24 October 2017, 07:04.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

    Comment


      #3
      I wouldn't worry about what they refer to you as.

      I'd look more closely at any working practice changes that come about from the 'rebrand' and whether the client's response to an HMRC investigation about what the client thinks your role is and how it is conducted may have changed for the worse.

      It may have changed for the better.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

      Comment


        #4
        I've been many things in my freelance career. Temp, contingent worker, contractor, that b*tch over there, MSP resource. It's a title. I don't care. What I care about is whether the contract and working practices align and I can safely argue my case should I need to.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
          My end client has recently implemented a number of changes that affect us independent contractors providing a service to them. We are no longer allowed to park on site and have to use the off site overflow car park. ..good it differentiates us from the permies. But a more recent change is that we are no longer referred to as Contractors we are now Contingent Workers. I have been go ogling to try to get a definition of what a contingent worker is and what if anything would it mean if dear old HMRC were to take a closer look but it is a very contradictory and confusing picture out there in Google land. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
          It might just mean that they've implemented Workday as their HR system and are keeping all their worker records in the same place, as that is the WD standard terminology. On the plus side the way WD differentiates is very strict:

          Employees = on payroll, full dataset
          Contingent Workers = cannot be on payroll, limited dataset

          HTH

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
            It might just mean that they've implemented Workday as their HR system and are keeping all their worker records in the same place, as that is the WD standard terminology. On the plus side the way WD differentiates is very strict:

            Employees = on payroll, full dataset
            Contingent Workers = cannot be on payroll, limited dataset

            HTH
            This. My old permie placed moved to Workday as the boss started to call our contractors "contingent".

            The parking seems like they have an issue with space (who doesn't), and it's fair enough the permies get to park closer.

            Enjoy the extra exercise and don't worry about it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Erm.. You looked up the dictionary definition of contingent?
              Yes and you need to be careful that you don't end up looking at an American legal definition of Contingent Worker. The Americans do have a legal definition of a Contingent Worker the UK doesn't.

              Oxford English Dictionary Defn of Contingent
              Dependent on events, conditions, etc. Not yet known; conditional.
              True under certain conditions
              Existing only as a matter of fact
              Happening by chance or without known cause
              That may or may not happen; uncertain
              A representative group distinguished by common origin, interests, etc. That is part of a larger group or gathering


              None of which really helps. PS all non permie employees are now labelled as contingent workers including all agency workers ( cleaners, canteen staff, etc.)

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                Yes and you need to be careful that you don't end up looking at an American legal definition of Contingent Worker. The Americans do have a legal definition of a Contingent Worker the UK doesn't.

                Oxford English Dictionary Defn of Contingent
                Dependent on events, conditions, etc. Not yet known; conditional.
                True under certain conditions
                Existing only as a matter of fact
                Happening by chance or without known cause
                That may or may not happen; uncertain
                A representative group distinguished by common origin, interests, etc. That is part of a larger group or gathering


                None of which really helps. PS all non permie employees are now labelled as contingent workers including all agency workers ( cleaners, canteen staff, etc.)
                Because HMRC use American legal definitions in their arguments..

                Take you tin foil hat off and carry on as normal. Nothing to worry about here.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Contingent Workers just means "not an employee".

                  Do they run Oracle HCM? Wouldn't surprise me if they did, which is where I first heard the term.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                    My end client has recently implemented a number of changes that affect us independent contractors providing a service to them. We are no longer allowed to park on site and have to use the off site overflow car park. ..good it differentiates us from the permies. But a more recent change is that we are no longer referred to as Contractors we are now Contingent Workers. I have been go ogling to try to get a definition of what a contingent worker is and what if anything would it mean if dear old HMRC were to take a closer look but it is a very contradictory and confusing picture out there in Google land. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
                    In my book, anything which helps separate you from employees the better. Looks like your client is doing their homework.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X