• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I mean if you hire a plumber and they injure their leg after finishing 95% of your work. You can't demand that they come back especially as you won't have paid them for all the work.
    Client could withhold payment though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Ask EXACTLY what you need to do in those last 2 days.
      Put together a handover plan to show that it can all be handed over before you finish.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Client could withhold payment though.
        Exactly.

Other posters missed that point.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Exactly.

Other posters missed that point.
          I think it's pretty rare a client will withhold payment for something like this. It might irk the client manager but the payments and legal side won't want to be buggering about with it. Agent could be more of a problem. I could be wrong but we very rarely hear of clients not paying on here. Nearly all agents no?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Does that apply to B2B contracts? They aren't really giving us time off.
            No it doesn't. Remember, if a client offers you no work, you can't bill them. And this works the other way too.

OP - Simply say to your "manager" that you're unavailable for the final two days (you don't even need to give a reason) but that it's all ok as you won't be invoicing for those days.

No work == no money. No money == no work. Cuts both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
              The hiring manager is saying that I am not fulfilling my 2 weeks notice and that I have to come back next week for 2 days and finish it off.
              You can't go back for those two days without having a contract that covers you for those days. Highlight that the contract ends on whatever date the two weeks are up. If they want you in for the next two days then you'll either need to have a contract in place or an indemnity signed by an authorised person at the client co which states that they are liable for any mistakes because you won't be insured.

If they produce a new contract, reject it / stall until you are out of contract and away from there.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Use your right of substitution and send a random homeless person...

Comment

I assume you aren't going into hospital for a stay or having an Op??

Just tell them you are available from 5pm through midnight for both those days when you get back home. At least you have made an offer to do the time

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                    Use your right of substitution and send a random homeless person...
                    Fine until they sub it to PC.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                      No it doesn't. Remember, if a client offers you no work, you can't bill them. And this works the other way too.

OP - Simply say to your "manager" that you're unavailable for the final two days (you don't even need to give a reason) but that it's all ok as you won't be invoicing for those days.

No work == no money. No money == no work. Cuts both ways.
                      Exactly. A contract is a framework within which services can be delivered and paid for. Typically there is no stipulation in a 12 month contract (for example) that the contractor will provide services for 220 days, or will provide services for the last two days of a contract.

If a contractor has a three month notice period (as in another thread), then give three months' notice and advise you won't be providing services within that period. If you're feeling kind, offer to send a sub.

Comment

Working...
                      X