• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella receipts. Safe to chuck?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella receipts. Safe to chuck?

Hey guys

When I first sorted contracting in September '14, I went via an umbrella company. I went limited in May of '15 and have been since.

I submitted all my expenses during my time when the umbrella on their own portal, and was paid accordingly. However, I still have stacks of receipts from this time.

I know you need to keep receipts for 3 years from the limited company, but is it really necessary for me to keep the Umbrella-era ones or can I safely chuck them?

Originally posted by Nitro View Post
    Hey guys

When I first sorted contracting in September '14, I went via an umbrella company. I went limited in May of '15 and have been since.

I submitted all my expenses during my time when the umbrella on their own portal, and was paid accordingly. However, I still have stacks of receipts from this time.

I know you need to keep receipts for 3 years from the limited company, but is it really necessary for me to keep the Umbrella-era ones or can I safely chuck them?
    Stick em in a box, stick the box in the garage/loft, sorted.

Comment

You heard of Sods Law right?

You chuck them then HMRC will decide that your umbrella company was dodgy and pick on you to investigate, OR there was something wrong with your self assessment, and fine you for not keeping records and will make up how much you owe them.

You keep them and HMRC will never darken your door....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I thought it was seven years.
        Added loft insulation......

Comment

Fair enough, I'll keep them.

Comment

You only need to keep records for 22 months after the tax year they relate to. https://www.gov.uk/keeping-your-pay-...-your-recordsP

Comment

Get a ScanSnap S1300i and stick them through there. Save as PDF then get rid of the originals.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                You only need to keep records for 22 months after the tax year they relate to. https://www.gov.uk/keeping-your-pay-...-your-recordsP
                Well, if you click on the "self-employed" bit it says "You must keep your records for at least 5 years after the 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) may check your records to make sure you’re paying the right amount of tax."

But technically with an Umbrella company, I was employed.

Comment

Well, if you click on the "self-employed" bit it says "You must keep your records for at least 5 years after the 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) may check your records to make sure you’re paying the right amount of tax."

Scan your receipts in as suggested and keep them on PDF.

Then if you ever need them for anything you are covered as you have a record of them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There's no "technically". You were employed. Not self employed.

Keep your receipts if it makes you happy, but that's the official position.

Comment

Working...
                    X