• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing a pricey cycle on the company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensing a pricey cycle on the company?

Would spending £2500 on a cycle for commuting be considered excessive in anyway?

At 6'4 and 130kg I'm finding it hard to find a cycle which is rated for such beastly proportions. Typical off the shelf bikes are rated for 120kg and no more, and even if the frames are rated, the wheels are not. I have broken several bikes previously and my current bike is a custom build for that very reason, but it's getting very old now and I am looking for a replacement.

I have been speaking to a bike shop and they have found me options for a frame + wheels rated to 135kg, but it's quite expensive at £2500. Just the wheels alone are like £900.....

I just don't want HMRC thinking I'm taking the piss because probably 75% of the miles will be commuting and can easily back that up with data from my GPS. (Strava)

I don't think its really a case of how expensive the bike is, but more about whether it passes the main test which is that the bike's main use is that it is used for "qualifying journeys". HMRC will accept that the bike meets this test unless there is "clear evidence" that it used less than 50% of the time on qualifying journeys.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim21664

So long as you can back up your usage then I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
      Would spending £2500 on a cycle for commuting be considered excessive in anyway?
      Does it to you?

At 6'4 and 130kg I'm finding it hard to find a cycle which is rated for such beastly proportions. Typical off the shelf bikes are rated for 120kg and no more, and even if the frames are rated, the wheels are not. I have broken several bikes previously and my current bike is a custom build for that very reason, but it's getting very old now and I am looking for a replacement.

I have been speaking to a bike shop and they have found me options for a frame + wheels rated to 135kg, but it's quite expensive at £2500. Just the wheels alone are like £900.....
      There you go then. Doesn't matter if we do. It's what it costs you to get what you need.

I just don't want HMRC thinking I'm taking the piss because probably 75% of the miles will be commuting and can easily back that up with data from my GPS. (Strava)
      They might think you are but if you can hand on heart justify it as you have above I can't see a problem.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just make sure you get some decent locks.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And sign up for British Cycling membership for £35/year and get insured at the same time (if you're not already covered by you home insurance).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Just make sure you get some decent locks.
            Have to be a strong burglar to steal a bike that big and sturdy.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Have to be a strong burglar to steal a bike that big and sturdy.
              People will steal anything if it's bike related. Then if they can't steal it they will break it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                And sign up for British Cycling membership for £35/year and get insured at the same time (if you're not already covered by you home insurance).
                OT, what does that give you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                  OT, what does that give you?
                  The basic Ride membership gives you liability insurance (for utility/commuting/leisure cycling) and legal support, discounted bike insurance and some discounts/deals in certain stores. It's actually £37/year (its gone up a bit). They have higher levels of membership which include cover for races.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership

I mainly purchase it for the liability cover (my bike isn't that expensive so its just insured on my home insurance). I've already had to use it - got knocked off my bike by some twat reversing off his drive a few years ago and it all got dealt with by Leigh Day solicitors. Ended up with cost of bike repair, physio and about £2k in compensation. It also covers me if I damage somebody else (or their car).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    The basic Ride membership gives you liability insurance (for utility/commuting/leisure cycling) and legal support, discounted bike insurance and some discounts/deals in certain stores. It's actually £37/year (its gone up a bit). They have higher levels of membership which include cover for races.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership

I mainly purchase it for the liability cover (my bike isn't that expensive so its just insured on my home insurance). I've already had to use it - got knocked off my bike by some twat reversing off his drive a few years ago and it all got dealt with by Leigh Day solicitors. Ended up with cost of bike repair, physio and about £2k in compensation. It also covers me if I damage somebody else (or their car).
                    Cheers, thats worth looking into. My bike is on household insurance but I suspect just for theft.

Comment

Working...
                    X