• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 PS calculation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
    28% increase? I wish someone could explain to me how these tax changes are going to result in additional funds for the government?

Sounds to me like they will be worse off overall. I wonder if someone crunched the numbers on these changes
    It's just rinsing the same money to begin with isn't it? PS pays contractor x+30%. Contractor then pays HMRC tax amount+increase due to being inside IR35. HMRC then pays out budget increase to PS to pay for contractor. Contractor hopefully doesn't lose out, HMRC says this is a triumph as tax income has increased.

IR35 is rolled out to private sector. Private sector won't pay increased rates. PS rates come down to match private sector now. HMRC wins in the short term as tax revenues are still up. Contractors all lose out and move abroad. Accenture and other big consultancies come in charging much higher rates but don't pay Corpotration tax. HMRC lose tax revenue. UK closes.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Even driving too. I used to do 105 miles a day. Thats almost £1000 at 45p a mile (until it goes down). So thats a few extra quid in tax on that again.
      No it isn't, it's £47.25.

It's almost £1000 a month, at 45p a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

And only for the first 92 days of the contract. After that it's 25p a mile, or £26.25 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by fannyadams View Post
          And only for the first 92 days of the contract. After that it's 25p a mile, or £26.25 a day.
          95 days, surely?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            I can see the headline already:

" Public Sector paying contractors' taxes for them to avoid new economy rules"...
            Yes its nuts. Public sector cant do without the contractors so has no choice but to increase the rate. So it costs them loads more. Contractor ends up pretty much the same.

In this case, for some reason, the client answered the question about fixing things at own expense wrongly. i.e they'd pay.

I think this is going to happen a lot. When PS clients realise that its costing them loads more they might a bit more careful with the IR35 test.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I think this is going to happen a lot. When PS clients realise that its costing them loads more they might a bit more careful with the IR35 test.
              But when HMRC come knocking and give the clients some examples it could put the fear of god in to them they may go the other way.

Interesting you mention fixing errors though. So a Dev does some work, goes to test and it fails. Should that dev be fixing that in his own time? Would the client be wrong to tick the box saying they pay for errors fixing?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                95 days, surely?
                95.2 days. Glad you're paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  95 days, surely?
                  This is NLUK's rule of CUK maths arguments being demonstrated

Comment

This is NLUK's rule of CUK maths arguments being demonstrated
                    Shhhh, I'm enjoying this.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Indeed. 25 miles into the journey on day 96, the rate changes for the next 80 miles that day and for the rest of the year.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X