• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olisun View Post
    I am not sure whether I should continue with FRS or not as my expenses are very limited.

I only claim for monthly accountancy changes, business insurance and some computer hardware / mobile phone (less than £500 each year).

I don't claim anything else.
    On the new flat rate, you'll gain £200 for every £100k of revenue. Therefore if your "VATable" costs exceed £1200 per year it's financially beneficial. My view is its marginal at best in terms of effort v reward unless you're up around £2500. But that would be your call. Why isn't the accountant that you're paying not telling you this?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
      On the new flat rate, you'll gain £200 for every £100k of revenue. Therefore if your "VATable" costs exceed £1200 per year it's financially beneficial. My view is its marginal at best in terms of effort v reward unless you're up around £2500. But that would be your call. Why isn't the accountant that you're paying not telling you this?
      I would argue over the effort v reward figure as I don't think processing vat invoices is that difficult with freeagent and an expenses app....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I would argue over the effort v reward figure as I don't think processing vat invoices is that difficult with freeagent and an expenses app....
        That's true, and a fair point. But we've contacted all our clients setting out the scenarios in a very neutral way and around half of the marginal cases have decided either to stick with FRS or deregister.

Comment

On the new flat rate, you'll gain £200 for every £100k of revenue. Therefore if your "VATable" costs exceed £1200 per year it's financially beneficial. My view is its marginal at best in terms of effort v reward unless you're up around £2500. But that would be your call.
          My accountancy fees are £90 incl + insurance £33.xx + Approx £500 max on a new handset (if I feel like paying the full price).

Why isn't the accountant that you're paying not telling you this?
          I have emailed him but since it's the year end I am guessing there will be a delay in the response.

Also my accountant is trying to upsell the accountancy package will costs me £50 extra pm.

Comment

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Originally posted by olisun View Post
            My accountancy fees are £90 incl + insurance £33.xx + Approx £500 max on a new handset (if I feel like paying the full price).

I have emailed him but since it's the year end I am guessing there will be a delay in the response.

Also my accountant is trying to upsell the accountancy package will costs me £50 extra pm.
            Ok. So you've got ~£300 in reclaimable VAT. IDK your rate so I can't calculate how much you'd be gaining on FRS but if we assume £100k revenue the gain is £200 so you'd be worse off by £100 on the FRS. Less if your revenue is less. More if it's more.

Comment

That's true, and a fair point. But we've contacted all our clients setting out the scenarios in a very neutral way and around half of the marginal cases have decided either to stick with FRS or deregister.
              Yeah out of our clients who are responding not far off half want to stick with it anyway despite the financial perspective pointing towards leaving. When you're regularly buying little things like subsistence/parking, and SaaS that's sometimes from non UK suppliers, it can be a bit of a faff figuring out which should be VATable and which shouldn't (FreeAgent's "auto VAT" is better than nothing, but it makes assumptions that won't always be correct).

Comment

With the extra effort involved in coming off the FRS can those that do foresee their accountancy fees rising as a result of any additional VAT admin overhead?

Eek thanks for the 'Xpenditure' tip I will have a look at that.

What I do find a bit odd about Freeagent is that it is dead easy to link a receipt to a bank transaction explanation but not so easy to get at it again afterwards.
                So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                  With the extra effort involved in coming off the FRS can those that do foresee their accountancy fees rising as a result of any additional VAT admin overhead?.
                  I can only speak for us, but we've no plans to increase fees.

Comment

Ok - stupid question but what about direct debits for things like mobile business phones, accountant fees - how do you get a vat invoice for those?
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Ok - stupid question but what about direct debits for things like mobile business phones, accountant fees - how do you get a vat invoice for those?
                      Payment method doesn't correlate with getting a receipt - my accountant emails me an invoice every month, and Vodafone lets me know when my monthly bill is ready each month.

Ask your supplier for a VAT receipt and they should provide you with one.
                      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
                      X