• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC letter re flat-rate VAT scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    As covered in and by However he does need those questions answered appropriately.

The thing about Paranoia is that while you may start just thinking "they are out to get me", it quickly turns into "they are out to get everyone". Hence what to me looks like an innocent new VAT inquiry based on the flat rate VAT and employers NI abuses looks to you like the beginnings of an IR35 inquiry - which based on the facts to hand makes little sense....
    Several hundred IR35 investigation users would beg to differ.

But you're right as always, the OP should just answer the questions as best he can. Nothing will come of it. Perhaps...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

But you're right as always, the OP should just answer the questions as best he can. Nothing will come of it. Perhaps...
      Don't believe that is what Eek was saying at all

he does need those questions answered appropriately
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What happens if you DON'T answer the questions, what did the letter actually say?

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
          What happens if you DON'T answer the questions, what did the letter actually say?
          I certainly wouldn't advise taking that approach!!!
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I think you need to have your English comprehension skills checked:

he does need those questions answered appropriately != answer the questions himself.....
            Last edited by eek; 28 February 2017, 12:51.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There's nothing usual in this. I've been directly or indirectly involved in (I'd guess) more than 2k VAT registrations and I've never heard of this. Answer with extreme care and seek advice before doing so. Probably from your insurers.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I think you need to have your English comprehension skills checked:

he does need those questions answered appropriately != answer the questions himself.....
                So we're actually all agreed, from SueEllen's post onwards. That's good then.

I hope the OP takes Alan's post very seriously though.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                  There's nothing usual in this. I've been directly or indirectly involved in (I'd guess) more than 2k VAT registrations and I've never heard of this. Answer with extreme care and seek advice before doing so. Probably from your insurers.
                  @shazbot - This guy is an accountant so take his words very seriously.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I certainly wouldn't advise taking that approach!!!
                    Which is why I asked what the letter ACTUALLY said...

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
                      Which is why I asked what the letter ACTUALLY said...
                      Pretty irrelevant, no?

Unless you think answering a series of questions from HMRCs Fraud Investigation Labour Providers Unit is optional in some way..?

Good luck!!!

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X