• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Accountants - Am I expecting too much?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And same with LadyMuck.. not the expensive but good bit... the bit about asking questions, learning and then being left to it. It is up to me to run my business and that includes learning enough what to ask.
    Which begs the question, why not go a little bit further do it all yourself (and save yourself a load of money in the process)?

You business accounts are a fundamental part of your business. If you care about you business, then like anything else in life that's worth doing, you do it well.

And if you want something done well, you need to do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Which begs the question, why not go a little bit further do it all yourself (and save yourself a load of money in the process)?

You business accounts are a fundamental part of your business. If you care about you business, then like anything else in life that's worth doing, you do it well.

Save a load of money? £90 +VAT is not a lot of money compared to the fall out of getting it wrong. Even less because you may still have to pay for Freeagent or some accounting portal.

Absolutely but accounting and business are two different things. Complimentary but different.

That statement only works if you know what you are doing and have the time and effort to keep up with all the legislation and the so on. I am sure there is another saying about not doing stuff when you can't but I CBA to search for it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

I do most of it myself but I do leave it to my accountant to do the final accounts and submissions to CoHo and HMRC, and the CT calculations. I like having an independent eye cast over the books at the end of the year while there's still opportunity to fix any mistakes before TPTB see them.

Comment

I suspect you're all right - I was feeling very stroppy!

Comment

I'm in the same position with a well known on here FA accountant right now. Since starting with them they haven't gotten the basics right (put 2015 year end figures in opening balances in FA instead of 2016, botched my payroll, botched my payment on account updates). The accountant I had moved on and now I've got someone who as far as I can tell doesn't have a university or accounting qualification. If I weren't using FA and pretty clued up on my accounting I'd be in a world of pain year end... They're on notice for another quarter (FA makes a switch a lot less daunting).

Comment

Originally posted by alloverit View Post
              I'm in the same position with a well known on here FA accountant right now. Since starting with them they haven't gotten the basics right (put 2015 year end figures in opening balances in FA instead of 2016, botched my payroll, botched my payment on account updates). The accountant I had moved on and now I've got someone who as far as I can tell doesn't have a university or accounting qualification. If I weren't using FA and pretty clued up on my accounting I'd be in a world of pain year end... They're on notice for another quarter (FA makes a switch a lot less daunting).
              You mean they are thick?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You mean they are thick?
                Maybe, maybe not. The person is a year and a bit out of high school so definitely inexperienced.

Comment

Originally posted by alloverit View Post
                  Maybe, maybe not. The person is a year and a bit out of high school so definitely inexperienced.
                  Age and guile beats youth and enthusiasm every time.

Comment

Working...
                  X