• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn statement - end of VAT flat rate scheme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
    I'll buy £3k of paper and then sell £3k of paper to you. The cost of this transaction is likely to be less than switching to a 16.5% FRS %.
    I don't want £3k worth of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      I don't want £3k worth of paper.
      You can sell it back. Then you'll both have bought £3k of goods.

(Not suggesting you do this by the way)

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post

Someone, somewhere is going to have a paper surplus.

Comment

The only way it would work, being an FRS business, is to buy £3000 + VAT worth of paper, but then sell it for £3600 + VAT, otherwise if you were to sell it for £3000 + VAT, then you would lose £600 (as being unable to reclaim the input VAT) as well as losing another £522 on having to give HMRC 14.5% of the £3600 you sell it on for. tulipty.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

That to me looks like carousel fraud..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              That to me looks like carousel fraud..
              Exactly. It was a glib remark not to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                The only way it would work, being an FRS business, is to buy £3000 + VAT worth of paper, but then sell it for £3600 + VAT, otherwise if you were to sell it for £3000 + VAT, then you would lose £600 (as being unable to reclaim the input VAT) as well as losing another £522 on having to give HMRC 14.5% of the £3600 you sell it on for. tulipty.
                I wasn't being serious.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  But surely you are making more than £600 by being on 14% FRS instead of 16.5%?
                  Last edited by minstrel; 23 November 2016, 16:45.

Comment

Exactly. It was a glib remark not to be taken seriously.
                    I agree that buying and selling paper for no business purpose is similar to carousel fraud, but most contractors could add a small side line doing genuine commercial trading to get up to 2%.

My wife probably sells over £3k of stuff on eBay each year. My Ltd could buy it off her and then sell it through the Ltd.

My Ltd could even employ her to sell it. Might even give me more justification to pay her a £8k salary and give her 50% shares

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                      Doesn't the new 16.5% FRS % only apply to limited cost traders?
                      So if you are a £100k turnover business and buy > £2k of goods you can stay on the old FRS?
                      A new SurfaceBook every year maybe ?

Comment

Working...
                      X