• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Buy To Let through LTD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Buy To Let through LTD

Hi All

Not sure if this has already been discussed on here (did a quick search) or if this is the correct location but any help appreciated.

Looking to buy my first BTL and with the new BTL changes there is talk of buying through a LTD as it is better to be able to offset expenses etc.

So my question is - Does anyone have experience if it is more beneficial from a tax perspective to use my IT Ltd company to purchase through, or should I setup a dedicated LTD company or neither and just keep it personal ?

I may buy one more later but that may be it, if it helps.

Discussed plenty of times:-

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?gfe_r...ntractor+forum
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by RajaStyle View Post
      Hi All

Not sure if this has already been discussed on here (did a quick search) or if this is the correct location but any help appreciated.

Looking to buy my first BTL and with the new BTL changes there is talk of buying through a LTD as it is better to be able to offset expenses etc.

So my question is - Does anyone have experience if it is more beneficial from a tax perspective to use my IT Ltd company to purchase through, or should I setup a dedicated LTD company or neither and just keep it personal ?

I may buy one more later but that may be it, if it helps.
      If you're renting homes, that's not the same company code as IT consultancy, so you'd either need to create a brand new separate comp or do it at a personal level.

Follow the link that MMM posted for a more detailed view on both.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Legally you can buy a residential BTL property through your existing contracting (I assume) Ltd Co...but generally speaking most people consider it a bad idea.

Historically consensus was to own the property personally, however recent/upcoming changes to interest relief and stamp duty can make buying through a Ltd Co more appealing. Tends to make sense to have a separate Ltd Co for the properties though.

Me personally, I'd still buy the properties privately, keeps life simpler...but then I think it partly depends on whether your strat will be to clear the mortgage ASAP (in which case reduced tax relief on interest less of an issue) or to aggressively buy more, regularly releasing equity to expand the portfolio.

Comment

Set up a SPV under your Ltd if you want to buy within a corporate structure. That way you don't have to pay tax on extraction of funds only to then stick them into a separate entity for BTL purchase.

Be prepared to pay more for commercial loans but there are more coming on to the market as time wears on.

The planned Section 24 taxation will make leveraged BTL largely unviable, if you are already near or within the 40% tax threshold.

SLDT surcharge is still payable on your properties in a Ltd/SPV if you already own another property, even if that property is in your personal name.

If you do decide to set up a completely separate Ltd for your BTL business, you would 'loan' in funds to that Ltd to buy the property, which means that the loan would be repaid to you from the profits of the Ltd, tax-free.

Comment

If you are planning to buy a whole load of BTLs over the next year or two - then this is a legitimate business and best to do under a Limited company.

If you are planning on buying one now, maybe another one in a few more years time, then it is best to do it personally rather than through a Limited.

Basically - consider whether your BTL income stream would be supplemental, or whether you intend it to become your main income stream.
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Buying Buy to Let through LTD

Hi RajaStyle,

Purchasing a Buy to Let through a Limited Company is an option that many contractors are now looking into. You would need to set up a Special Purpose Vehicle as a subsidiary of your main contracting LTD company with the sole purpose of this being to purchase property. The use of an SPV will allow you to transfer money (i.e deposit funds etc) straight from your main LTD company into the SPV without withdrawing this as a dividend. In terms of the tax benefits of using a LTD company to purchase a BTL it would be best to speak with your accountant around these, and they can also work out the figures to see if it is a viable option for you.

It's worth bearing in mind, that LTD Company Buy to Let mortgages can be quite costly - often the interest rates and fees associated with these are quite a bit higher than those for a personal Buy to Let mortgage, however it can save you money in the long run.

Comment

so what is the advice for someone that can only stump up the deposit for a BTL from LTD retained profits?

Is it also possible to change current property to a BTL? till i get round to moving out at some point in time?

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                  so what is the advice for someone that can only stump up the deposit for a BTL from LTD retained profits?
                  Do a bit of tax planning and exact it via Divis the best way you can. Likey you will have to take a tax hit but IMO you shouldn't let the tax tail wag the dog.

Is it also possible to change current property to a BTL? till i get round to moving out at some point in time?
                  You can't have a BTL mortgage or agreement when it is your main residence. When you've moved out you can ask your lender for permission to let against your current mortgage but this can cause complications when trying to get another residential mortgage.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Likey you will have to take a tax hit but IMO you shouldn't let the tax tail wag the dog.
                    That's the bit that breaks my heart. So unfair why big businesses and the Elite get away with paying so little

Comment

Working...
                    X