• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy for blend of contractor and property investing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountancy for blend of contractor and property investing?

Hi everyone,

Looking for suggestions for an accountant who can provide a blend of support for contracting as well as property investing.

For context, in the not-to-distant future I'd like to use capital left over in my company to fund buy-to-renovate property investing by my wife. She's been successfully doing buy to let for several years, and she does well at finding low value properties and increasing their value through cost-effective renovations... but being (Buy-to-let) mortgage dependent can't go after the best opportunities, e.g. properties needing more extensive renovation, or on auction.

So apart from standard contractor type support, am also looking for an accountancy that can provide reliable advice and guidance on how to support the above activity... whether hiring my wife through my company (or even contracting her as a 3rd party agent... ) to run a property investing of my company's finances, or lending her money at commercial rates (with interest rates and loan terms drawn up to a standard that'd stand up to scrutiny from HMRC), to just run property investment independently as a sole trader.

Any thoughts on an accountancy that could provide that level of broader support?

Thanks!

I'd suggest Tidy Money. A couple of our clients (who are virtually all contractors/freelancers) who went heavily into property to the extent we weren't confident advising them anymore. They moved to them and seem happy.

Preetesh Parmar is the main guy there, met him a couple of times (at FreeAgent gatherings, they're heavy FreeAgent advocates like us).

Comment

Originally posted by lifexplorer99 View Post
      Any thoughts on an accountancy that could provide that level of broader support?
      I think there's a couple of guys on here that take on general practice clients, us included. Within the general practice, we've a couple of guys that solely look after property clients, speak to Chris or Pav both partners in Hentons, feel free to PM for telephone numbers or email addresses. Seem to remember someone asking questions along similar lines a couple of months ago.

Comment

If you mean using your company's money to do BTL then I suspect the Revenue could get you for that.
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          If you mean using your company's money to do BTL then I suspect the Revenue could get you for that.
          Why is that?

If the company is set up as a general purpose vehicle, then there shouldn't be a problem. Which is another way of saying I have looked into this in the past, and am now doing just that.

Comment

Working...
          X